How do I calculate the bending moment in a beam for my ramp design?

In summary, the conversation is about a student designing a ramp for school and needing to calculate various things, such as bending moment and strength, in order to ensure it can hold at least 200kg. They have asked their teachers for help but have not received any clear explanations. The conversation then goes into discussing the calculation for beam deflection and how to find the young's modulus for aluminum. The conversation concludes with a link to a beam calculator that can help with the calculations.
sockless
So for school I'm designing a ramp. The problem is that I need to calculate various things in it, none of which I've ever been taught, since I'm pretty sure it's all uni level. I've asked multiple teachers, including my physics teacher and my technology teacher, and they haven't been any help.

Basically, my ramp is a 50.8 mm square aluminium tube with 3.25mm walls, which is 2m long. I want it to be able to hold at least 200kg, which I guess can be modeled as a point force in the middle (i.e. 1m). However, I don't have a clue how to calculate the bending moment, so that I can calculate the strength of the beam (via it's section modulus, which I have figured out). The ramp is supported at both ends and can be modeled as being horizontal. I've looked on the internet, but nothing makes any real sense.

I don't want the solution as much as I want an explanation on how to calculate the bending moment.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sockless said:
Basically, my ramp is a 50.8 mm square aluminium tube with 3.25mm walls, which is 2m long. I want it to be able to hold at least 200kg, which I guess can be modeled as a point force in the middle (i.e. 1m). However, I don't have a clue how to calculate the bending moment, so that I can calculate the strength of the beam (via it's section modulus, which I have figured out). The ramp is supported at both ends and can be modeled as being horizontal. I've looked on the internet, but nothing makes any real sense.

I don't want the solution as much as I want an explanation on how to calculate the bending moment.

let's calculate beam deflection first. as if it were horizontal.

you have to look up the young's modulous for aluminum. Wikipedia says 69 gigapascals.

okay here's the most basic equation:

(length of beam * force) / (young's modulus * cross section area)

result is in meters.

length of beam = 2m
force= 200kgs*9.81= 1962N
young's mod=69Gpa (1pa =1 N/m2)
cross section= 50.82-(50.8-3.25)2= 319.6375mm2 =0.0003196375 m2

plug and chug:

2 meters * 1962 Newtons / 69x109Newtons/meter2 * 0.0003196375 m2

=0.00000017791894 meters

That probably didn't help. sorry.

Well Huntoon wasn't much help, fortunately its a pretty easy calculation. Everything you need can be found here:

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/beams/casestudy_display.cfm?case=simple_centerload

The specific equation you're looking for is:
eqn_moment_max.gif

Note that beam calculator I linked to will also calculate the max stress.

What is bending moment in a beam?

Bending moment in a beam is the measure of the internal forces acting on a beam that cause it to bend. It is the product of the force applied to the beam and the distance from the point of application to the point of interest on the beam.

How is bending moment calculated in a beam?

Bending moment can be calculated by taking the product of the force acting on the beam and the distance from the point of application to the point of interest. It can also be calculated by summing the internal forces acting on the beam at a specific point.

What is the significance of bending moment in structural design?

Bending moment is a critical factor in structural design as it helps determine the strength and stability of a beam. It is used to ensure that a beam can withstand the expected loads and forces without failing or deforming.

What factors affect bending moment in a beam?

The magnitude and location of the external force, the type of support at each end of the beam, and the material properties of the beam all affect the bending moment. Other factors such as temperature changes, structural loading, and beam geometry can also impact bending moment.

Why is it important to consider bending moment in beam design?

Considering bending moment in beam design is crucial because it helps ensure the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. Neglecting bending moment can result in structural failure, which can have serious consequences.