How Do You Calculate Estimated Standard Deviation from Grouped Data?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the estimated standard deviation for a set of data provided by using the formula provided. The participants discuss the meaning of x and n in the formula and how to calculate the mean for the data. A typo in the data is also pointed out and corrected.
Noobnoobnoob
Ok I've got a maths exam on monday and one of the things that is going to be inside it is standard deviation.
Problem is I don't get it one bit. I tried googling it but I didn't understand any of it.

Could someone explain to me how I would find the estimated standard deviation for the following data please?

Profits (1000s)--------Frequency
-10<x<10------------2
0<x<10---------------5
10<x<20-------------12
20<x<30-------------20
30<50-------------61

The formula is
Square root off (Total (x-mean of x) squared divided by n but I don't get what x and n are.

The estimated mean is 31350
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
In your sample you have 100 measurements of profit. Each of those 100 measurements represents a value of x which is just a name you are giving to each quantity. Since your measurements are allocated to 5 bins (-10 to 10, 0 to 10 and so on), you do not know the precise value of each of the 100 measurements. One way to handle that would be to assume each measurement is equal to the central value of each bin. For example, you would take two of the measurements to have the value 0 (the middle of the interval -10 to 10).

Use that information to find the mean of all 100 measurements and then use your formula to find the standard deviation.

Incidentally, I think you mistyped your first interval. I am guessing that the interval from -10 to 10 should really be from -10 to 0.

Tide said:
In your sample you have 100 measurements of profit. Each of those 100 measurements represents a value of x which is just a name you are giving to each quantity. Since your measurements are allocated to 5 bins (-10 to 10, 0 to 10 and so on), you do not know the precise value of each of the 100 measurements. One way to handle that would be to assume each measurement is equal to the central value of each bin. For example, you would take two of the measurements to have the value 0 (the middle of the interval -10 to 10).

Use that information to find the mean of all 100 measurements and then use your formula to find the standard deviation.

Incidentally, I think you mistyped your first interval. I am guessing that the interval from -10 to 10 should really be from -10 to 0.

Ok you're right about the typo.

So x for the first one would be -5?
So what's N?

Yes, use the middle of each interval. Don't forget to multiply that value by the frequency. "Mean of x" is the sum of those: sum of each interval's center value times its freaquency, divided by 100. And x, of course, is the center value.

1. What is standard deviation and why is it important?

Standard deviation is a measure of how much variation or spread there is in a set of data. It is important because it helps us understand how far individual data points are from the average, or mean, of the data set.

2. How is standard deviation calculated?

Standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of the variance. The variance is calculated by finding the difference between each data point and the mean, squaring those differences, and then taking the average of those squared differences.

3. What does a high or low standard deviation indicate?

A high standard deviation indicates that the data points are spread out over a wider range, while a low standard deviation indicates that the data points are closer to the mean. In other words, a high standard deviation means that there is a lot of variation in the data, while a low standard deviation means that the data points are relatively close to each other.

4. How do I interpret standard deviation?

Standard deviation can be interpreted as a measure of the average distance of data points from the mean. It can also be used to determine the probability of a data point falling within a certain range from the mean.

5. Can standard deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative because it represents the square root of the variance, which is always a positive value. If the calculated standard deviation is negative, it is likely an error in the calculation.