Simple but tricky problem, horizontal motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a cannon shooting at a target. The initial speed of the cannonball is given and the task is to find the distance it travels. The conversation also suggests drawing a diagram and solving for the vertical and horizontal components separately.
phynoob
Im studying for my test and I have a problem from my previous notes. It should be simple but I am having some difficulty.

''
A cannon is shooting horizontally at a target. The cannonball strikes .2m below the bullseye. If the initial speed of the cannonball is 956m/s, what is the distance?
''

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of what it looks like, include the path if there was no gravity and then draw the actual path. You are solving for D_y that should be plenty to get you started.

Find the value of t from the vertical displacement. Then find horizontal distance by using the value.

1. What is horizontal motion?

Horizontal motion refers to the motion of an object in a straight line parallel to the ground, with no vertical movement.

2. What is an example of a simple but tricky horizontal motion problem?

An example could be a ball rolling off the edge of a table at a certain speed and distance, and determining where it will land on the ground.

3. How do you calculate the horizontal distance traveled by an object?

The horizontal distance can be calculated using the formula d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

4. What factors can affect horizontal motion?

The factors that can affect horizontal motion include the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the surface the object is moving on.

5. How can you solve a horizontal motion problem using vectors?

Vectors can be used to represent the direction and magnitude of an object's velocity and acceleration. By breaking down these vectors into horizontal and vertical components, you can solve for the object's motion in each direction and then combine them to determine the overall motion.