With a double major in another science, BA vs. BS in Physics?

In summary, the choice between a BA or BS in Chemistry and Physics may not make a significant difference in future career options. Both degrees provide a strong foundation and can lead to a variety of career paths. If interested in research, a BS may be a better option, while a BA may be more suitable for pursuing a double major or minor. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor and gain research experience to make the most out of your education.
ran
Evening everyone,

I come to you with the age old BA vs. BS question with an added twist. I plan to double major in Chemistry and Physics, and I'm a junior transfer to Emory University. I'd like a math/bio minor, but that's another story. My previous school had pretty flexible course offerings in the summer and academic year, but here, not so much. The courses are restricted to being in sequence and little to no electives are offered during the summer either. I also came from a school where organic chem and general physics were always filled up (at least, by the time I got my enrollment appointment) and no overrides were ever given. This inflexibility is making me nervous because I don't want to graduate late.

The BS requires 9 classes versus the BA which has 2 core courses plus 2 electives, one of which I'm sure can be research. The Chemistry BS vs. BA seems to make little difference since the requirements are nearly the same. I know that a BS generally reflects a deeper, more challenging curriculum so I plan to stick with those courses if I choose the BA. I may be interested in the pre-professional route, but research/lab jobs, and gov't work also interest me. But what do you guys advise? Is a BA or BS going to make a difference in any situation (if you're dedicated, slacking, in a box, with a mouse, etc.)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I can understand your dilemma and concerns about choosing between a BA or BS in Chemistry and Physics. In my opinion, the choice between a BA or BS may not make a significant difference in your future career path. Both degrees will provide you with a strong foundation in the subject areas and will be valuable in pursuing a variety of career options, including pre-professional, research, and government work. It ultimately comes down to your personal interests and goals.

That being said, if you are interested in pursuing a more research-focused career, a BS may be a better option as it typically involves more advanced coursework and laboratory experience. However, if you are more interested in a broader understanding of the subject areas and potentially pursuing a double major and/or minor, a BA may be a better fit for you.

I understand your concerns about course availability and flexibility, but I would recommend speaking with an academic advisor at Emory University to see if there are any options for you to take summer courses at other institutions or if there are any alternatives for completing your degree requirements in a timely manner. Additionally, gaining research experience through internships or opportunities outside of coursework can also be beneficial in your career path.

In the end, the most important thing is to choose a path that aligns with your interests and goals, and to make the most out of your education and experiences. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the difference between a BA and BS in Physics?

A BA (Bachelor of Arts) in Physics typically focuses on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of physics, while a BS (Bachelor of Science) in Physics is more mathematically and scientifically rigorous. A BA may also require fewer science and math courses compared to a BS.

2. Can I still get a job in the field of physics with a BA instead of a BS?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in physics with a BA, although you may have more limited options compared to someone with a BS. Many BA graduates go on to work in related fields such as education, scientific writing, or research.

3. Is it beneficial to have a double major in another science with a BA or BS in Physics?

Having a double major in another science can be beneficial in terms of expanding your knowledge and skills in different areas. It can also make you more competitive in the job market, as you will have a diverse set of skills and knowledge to offer potential employers.

4. Will a double major in another science affect the amount of time it takes to complete my degree?

It depends on the specific requirements of your double major and how well you manage your course load. It may take longer to complete a double major, but it can also be completed within the typical 4 years if planned carefully.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics with a BA instead of a BS?

Yes, many graduate programs in physics accept students with a BA in Physics. However, some may have specific prerequisites or may require additional courses to be completed before starting the program. It is best to check with the specific program for their admission requirements.