Magnetic Field - Torque on a Current Loop

In summary, a circular coil with 720 turns and area 0.6 m^2 experiences a maximum torque of 0.0026 N · m in a uniform magnetic field of 0.63 T. By using the equation T = IABn, the current in the coil is found to be 9.5532e-6 N · m. In the second part, where the 720 turns are used to form a single-turn coil with a larger area, the current is found to be 1.32644e-8 N-m by using the formula T = IAB and substituting the new area A2 = (n^2)*A1.
calvert11

Homework Statement

A circular coil of 720 turns and area 0.6 m^2 is in a uniform magnetic field of 0.63 T. The maximum torque exerted on the coil by the field is 0.0026 N · m.

a) Calculate the current in the coil.

b) Assume the 720 turns of wire are used to form a single-turn coil with the same shape but much larger area. What is the current if the maximum torque exerted on the coil by the field is 0.0026 N · m?

NOTE: Sigfigs do not matter

Homework Equations

T = IABn

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:
I solved by substitution using the equation T = IABn, getting T = 9.5532e-6 N · m (answer is correct)

Part B:
This is the part I'm having trouble with. I thought I could fine the new Area doing the following (I'm sure this approach is wrong):

.6 = pi*r^2, r*720 = 314.7
A = pi*314.7^2, plugging in the new area into T = IAB gives the wrong answer.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 1.32644e-8 N-m

rl.bhat said:
I got 1.32644e-8 N-m
yeah, Thanks. I got the same answer or thereabouts.

After some algebra (and some help) I found that the new area A2 = (n^2)*A1.

Plugging that into T = IAB gives the correct answer.

Related to Magnetic Field - Torque on a Current Loop

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or a moving electric charge where magnetic forces can be detected.

2. What is torque on a current loop?

Torque on a current loop is the rotational force experienced by a loop of current in a magnetic field. It is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis.

3. How is torque on a current loop calculated?

The torque on a current loop can be calculated using the formula T = IABsinθ, where T is the torque, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the loop.

4. What factors affect the torque on a current loop?

The torque on a current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the orientation of the loop relative to the magnetic field.

5. What is the practical application of torque on a current loop?

Torque on a current loop has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and other electromechanical devices. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to create images of the human body.