Preparing for University Physics: Worth it?

In summary, the speaker is beginning university in Physics in a month and is wondering if they should review the math and physics they learned in CEGEP beforehand. They took 4 math classes and 3 physics courses in CEGEP and are questioning if reviewing these courses would give them an advantage in university or if it is standard practice to review at the beginning of the year. They also mention wanting to avoid getting bored with the material.
ColonelJ
Hey all, I'm beginning university in Physics in a month. How it works in Quebec is that you have 2 year's worth of CEGEP, in which you have a general science program, and then you move on to university for a 3 year baccalaureate.

I was wondering if I should start reviewing the maths and physics I've seen in cegep before I begin university. I had 4 math classes: differentials, integrals, linear algebra/vector geometry and advanced calculus. We also had the standard 3 physics courses: mechanics, E&M and waves/optics/modern physics.

Would reviewing these courses give me an edge in university, or is it standard practice in university courses to review it all at the beginning of the year? In short, would it be worth it?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you just reviewed it all to pass your school exams? As I took a daft combined course at University I ended up doing vector geometry three times. That got pretty stale! So avoid going stale, take a break, go and track bears or something.

I would highly recommend reviewing the math and physics material you covered in CEGEP before beginning university. This will not only give you a head start in your courses, but it will also help you build a strong foundation for more advanced concepts. Additionally, reviewing the material will help you identify any gaps in your understanding and allow you to address them before starting university.

In university courses, there is often an expectation that students have a solid understanding of the basic concepts covered in earlier courses. Therefore, reviewing this material beforehand can save you time and potential struggles during the semester.

Moreover, physics is a subject that builds upon itself, so having a strong grasp of the fundamental concepts will make it easier for you to understand more complex topics. It is also worth noting that university physics courses tend to move at a faster pace than high school or CEGEP courses, so reviewing beforehand can help you keep up with the material and prevent falling behind.

In short, reviewing the material from CEGEP would definitely be worth it in terms of preparing for university physics. It will not only give you an edge, but it will also help you excel in your courses and set you up for success in your academic and future career pursuits. Best of luck in your studies!

1. Is it necessary to take high school physics before studying university physics?

While it is recommended to have a strong foundation in high school physics, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory physics courses that cover the basic principles and concepts for students who have not taken high school physics.

2. What topics are covered in university physics?

University physics courses typically cover topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. These courses provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

3. How can I prepare for university physics before starting the course?

Some ways to prepare for university physics include reviewing basic math skills, familiarizing yourself with fundamental physics concepts, and practicing problem-solving techniques. You can also read textbooks or attend workshops to gain a better understanding of the subject.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required for university physics?

While there are no specific prerequisites for university physics, having a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills is beneficial. Additionally, a basic understanding of concepts such as vectors, calculus, and trigonometry can be helpful.

5. What are the benefits of studying university physics?

Studying university physics can provide a deeper understanding of the physical world and how it works. It can also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields. Additionally, studying physics can open up career opportunities in areas such as engineering, research, and education.