Are Upper Division Physics Classes Inspiring?

In summary: Overall, I think (and Klockan3 agreed) that, if you're interested in physics and want to learn more about it, you'll enjoy classes in upper division physics.
Ceenaya19
Hi. I'm a second year physics and astronomy major. I'm beginning to worry that I have entered these two majors with unrealistic expectations. The problem is that I developed my passion for physics throughout high school by reading popular science books like The Elegant Universe and Many Worlds in One; I'm also an avid sci-fi nerd. It's just that the physics that I'm doing now is nowhere near as interesting as I had hoped it would be. I know I'm only a sophomore (I'm only now taking E&M) and that the classes I'm taking now are just intro classes, but I have heard from a few other physics majors that the upper division classes are just all math and that that they are in no way inspiring (like the popular science books). I was just wondering if someone could give their opinion about upper division physics classes, particularly the ones mentioned in the title. Are they interesting? Do you look forward to going to them? And, do they add to your love of physics? Also, don't get me wrong: I understand that physics is a highly technical subject and that the classes aren't just going to be a breeze, but I want to make sure that I don't just have a passing interest in physics rather than an actual desire to major in it. Thanks a lot to whoever answers.

Physics news on Phys.org

They are awesome if you like to really understand, they are boring if you just like to hear about strange phenomena associated with the various disciplines within physics.

I guess I'd agree with what Klockan3 said, that if you're just interested in hearing about the wacky results that occasionally come out of physics research, you're not going to enjoy a class like QM that much. However, if you want to see some of the work that went into discovering those sometimes-wacky results, and understand why these things are true, you'll probably find the higher classes pretty interesting. In QM, for example, you'll probably learn why the uncertainty principle is true and where it comes from, how to calculate the spectral lines of the hydrogen atom, how quantum cryptography works; and in your cosmology class, I wouldn't be surprised if they talk about things like the various ways in which the age of the universe can be calculated. Think about whether you'd enjoy seeing the science (or really, mostly math) behind these things, or if you're happy just reading about them in the popular science books.

Come to think of it, since you mention The Elegant Universe: one reason I like that book is that Brian Greene includes little mathematical teasers in some of the endnotes. So I would suggest reading over those (not the ones that just give citations, but the ones that start out "For the mathematically inclined reader" or the like) and see whether they pique your interest. If you find yourself wanting to know more, then that's one indicator that continuing in physics might be a good fit for you.

Related to Are Upper Division Physics Classes Inspiring?

What is the importance of upper division physics classes?

The upper division physics classes are important because they provide students with a deeper understanding of fundamental physics concepts and prepare them for advanced studies or careers in physics-related fields.

What makes upper division physics classes inspiring?

Upper division physics classes are inspiring because they often involve hands-on experiments, advanced mathematical concepts, and real-world applications that challenge students to think critically and creatively.

What are some common topics covered in upper division physics classes?

Some common topics covered in upper division physics classes include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, relativity, and advanced mathematical methods such as differential equations and linear algebra.

How do upper division physics classes differ from lower division classes?

Upper division physics classes typically require a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts and involve more complex problem-solving and mathematical techniques compared to lower division classes, which focus more on basic principles and concepts.

What are the benefits of taking upper division physics classes?

Taking upper division physics classes can help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in many fields, including science, engineering, and technology. Additionally, these classes can prepare students for graduate studies in physics or related fields.