Measuring Temperature Using a Carbon Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses using a carbon resistor as a thermometer and determining the temperature on a spring day based on its resistance. The temperature coefficient of resistivity for carbon, which is -5.00×10−4C^-1 informs the relationship between temperature and resistance. The question posed is which circuit, one with larger pipes or one with smaller pipes, will have a greater flow of water in a water circuit. Without knowing the velocity, it is difficult to determine which circuit will have a greater flow of water.
vachan
A carbon resistor is to be used as a thermometer. On a winter day when the temperature is 4.00(Degree C.), the resistance of the carbon resistor is 218.0(Greek "w') . What is the temperature on a spring day when the resistance is 215.8(Greek "W")?
Take the temperature coefficient of resistivity for carbon to be (alpha) = −5.00×10−4C^-1

I am not so sure how should i start... what equation should i apply in here? .

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the temperature coefficient of resistivity tell you?
(i.e. what does the number mean?)
Hint: Look at the unit

Thanks!

Electricity and Water Analogy

Consider the following water circuit: water is continually pumped to high pressure by a pump, and then funnelled into a pipe that has lower pressure at its far end (else the water would not flow through the pipe) and back to the pump. Two such circuits are identical, except for one difference: the pipes in one circuit have a larger diameter than the pipes in the other circuit. Through which circuit is the flow of water greater?

Small pipe
Large pipe

I am not so sure, if there have not tell me the velocity, how am i going to know?

1. How does a carbon resistor measure temperature?

A carbon resistor measures temperature by changes in its electrical resistance. As temperature increases, the resistance of the carbon resistor also increases.

2. What is the accuracy of temperature measurement using a carbon resistor?

The accuracy of temperature measurement using a carbon resistor depends on various factors such as the quality of the resistor, the precision of the measurement equipment, and the environment in which it is being used. Generally, carbon resistors have an accuracy range of +/- 5%.

3. Can a carbon resistor be used for precise temperature measurement?

While carbon resistors can provide a general indication of temperature changes, they are not suitable for precise temperature measurement. Other types of sensors, such as thermocouples or thermistors, are more accurate and reliable for precise temperature measurement.

4. How is the temperature range of a carbon resistor determined?

The temperature range of a carbon resistor is determined by its composition and construction. Carbon resistors typically have a temperature range of -55°C to +155°C. However, this can vary depending on the specific resistor and its intended use.

5. How can the accuracy of temperature measurement using a carbon resistor be improved?

The accuracy of temperature measurement using a carbon resistor can be improved by using multiple resistors in a series or parallel configuration, and by using a temperature compensation circuit. Additionally, proper calibration and regular maintenance can also help improve the accuracy of the measurements.