Stumped by Basic Kirchhoff's Loop Rule Question

• Thread starter cj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary, Kirchhoff's Loop Rule states that the sum of the electrical potential differences around a closed circuit is zero. In a single loop series circuit, the voltage gain from the battery is offset by the equal voltage loss from the resistor, allowing the electron to continue to flow. This is because the resistor is a passive element and is not actively pushing against the electron. The battery continuously provides a push to keep the flow of electrons going, but the number of electrons in the circuit is limited due to the resistance.
cj
Kirchhoff's Loop Rule: The directed sum of the electrical potential differences (voltage) around any closed circuit is zero.

I'm an electron. I'm in a single loop series circuit with just a 5 volt battery and a resistor. The battery gives me a voltage boost of 5 volts and sends me on my way to the resistor. The resistor perfectly robs me of the 5 volts that I got from the battery. How, then, am I able to continue to flow? If my voltage gain is offset by an opposite and equal voltage loss, shouldn't I simply be stuck dead in the wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to look at it that way...

It is not like the resistor is actually pushing you back...the resistor is a passive element...it is only offering some resistance to your motion.

The battery gives you enough push to push you across the resistor and end up back at the back end of the battery where the battery itself will give you another push like a hotwheels track pushes a toy car once around.

The thing is that the reason why you and a finite amount of your friends are going around the circuit is precisely because the battery was able to only push so many...because the opposition of the resistance...in a self-balancing act, if you will

Hope this helps

What is Kirchhoff's Loop Rule?

Kirchhoff's Loop Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that same loop.

How is Kirchhoff's Loop Rule used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Loop Rule is used to analyze complex circuits by creating a system of equations that can be solved to determine the currents and voltages at different points in the circuit.

What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Loop Rule and Kirchhoff's Junction Rule?

Kirchhoff's Junction Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must equal zero. Kirchhoff's Loop Rule applies to closed loops in a circuit, while Kirchhoff's Junction Rule applies to junctions in a circuit.

Can Kirchhoff's Loop Rule be applied to circuits with multiple loops?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Loop Rule can be applied to circuits with multiple loops. Each loop would have its own equation, and the equations can be solved simultaneously to determine the unknown currents and voltages.

What are some common mistakes when using Kirchhoff's Loop Rule?

Common mistakes when using Kirchhoff's Loop Rule include not properly applying the sign conventions for voltage drops and sources, neglecting to include all voltage sources and drops in the loop, and not considering the direction of current flow in the loop.