How do mathematicians and physicists actually work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of discovery and research in the fields of mathematics and physics. The participants question whether one needs to be a genius to excel in these fields and express curiosity about the challenges involved in pursuing original ideas. They also acknowledge the difference between academic and industry careers in these disciplines.
Bartholomew
How do mathematicians and physicists actually work? I've never had real trouble with any math or science course I've taken (1st yr of college now) but I can't imagine how you would make a living discovering and researching things which have not been discovered or researched before. It seems to me like it would be such a chancy thing--like you either have some insight and make a theory out of it or you don't. Do you have to be a genius to be a mathematician or a physicist? Or is my impression of how much you have to come up with original ideas wrong?

(I'm heading into computer science so these questions are only academic for me)

Physics news on Phys.org
I've always wondered this too.. =)

I always thought about working hard to get into a good college/ etc./ etc.. But the thought of doing something never before done is the paramount challenge.

That's the fun of it! As you study a subdiscipline more intensely, it starts to become more apparent where the gaps in knowledge are. Though, there is a bit of talent involved. Some people get a PhD and really still don't turn out to be very good at finding novel things to study. No problem there, there are always jobs in industry where they can work for someone else who tells them what to work on.

1. How do mathematicians and physicists approach problem-solving?

Both mathematicians and physicists use a combination of creativity and logical reasoning to solve problems. They start by breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then use mathematical or physical principles to solve each part. They also use various tools and techniques such as equations, models, and experiments to test their hypotheses.

2. Do mathematicians and physicists work alone or in teams?

It depends on the nature of the problem and the preferences of the individual. While some mathematicians and physicists prefer to work alone, others collaborate with colleagues or work in research teams. Collaboration allows for the exchange of ideas and perspectives, which can lead to more innovative solutions.

3. How do mathematicians and physicists deal with failure?

Failure is a common occurrence in the fields of mathematics and physics, and it is seen as a natural part of the problem-solving process. Mathematicians and physicists use failure as an opportunity to learn and refine their approach. They will often go back to the drawing board, re-evaluate their assumptions, and try again until they find a successful solution.

4. How do mathematicians and physicists ensure the accuracy of their work?

Accuracy is crucial in mathematics and physics, and both fields have rigorous standards for ensuring the correctness of their work. Mathematicians use proofs, which are logical arguments that demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem. Physicists use experiments and observations to test their theories and models and make sure they align with real-world data.

5. How do mathematicians and physicists stay updated with advancements in their fields?

Mathematicians and physicists attend conferences, read research papers, and collaborate with colleagues to stay updated with the latest advancements in their fields. They also actively participate in research projects, teach and mentor students, and engage in discussions with other experts in their field to stay informed and up-to-date.