Physics undergrad to Optics grad

In summary, the conversation discusses the transition from a Physics undergraduate program to a graduate program in Optics/Photonics, specifically at the University of Central Florida (UCF). The speaker asks about any difficulties or information to be aware of while applying, as well as the competitiveness of Optics/Photonics programs. They mention knowing three individuals with a similar background who were accepted to the CREOL program with high GPAs and some research experience. The speaker shares that they are also a third year student in the same program and have received advice from grad students and faculty to take upper-level optics courses. They offer to answer any further questions and potentially visit the UCF campus for more information.
Dauden
I was wondering if there was any particular difficulty in going from a Physics undergraduate program to graduate program in Optics/Photonics. Let's say to an Optics college such as the one at UCF (http://www.creol.ucf.edu/)

I still have my upper level Physics classes to take so is there any information I should be aware of for applying?

Is there any kind of information out there for the competitiveness for Optics/Photonics programs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know 3 people who finished a BS in physics with the Optics specialization from UCF that were all accepted to CREOL with GPA's in the 3.7 range and some minor research. I'm a third year student in the same degree program and I have talked to many grad students and faculty there who advised me that it would be wise to at least take some of the upper-level optics courses outlined in the undergraduate catalog for physics' specialization section.

Send me a pm if you have any other questions, I can just go there and ask them (if you don't live close by), it would benefit me as well.

1. What is the difference between studying physics as an undergraduate and optics as a graduate student?

As an undergraduate student in physics, you will study a broad range of topics related to the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. As a graduate student in optics, you will focus specifically on the properties and behaviors of light and its interaction with matter, as well as the design and development of optical devices and systems.

2. What kind of courses can I expect to take as a graduate student in optics?

Some common courses in an optics graduate program include geometric and physical optics, quantum optics, optical design and engineering, laser physics, and optical materials. You may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as biomedical optics, nanophotonics, or nonlinear optics.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a physics undergrad and optics grad degree?

With a physics undergrad and optics grad degree, you may have a wide range of career options in industries such as telecommunications, biotechnology, aerospace, and defense. You may work as an optical engineer, designing and testing optical systems and devices, or as a research scientist, exploring new applications of optics in fields such as medicine or renewable energy.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to pursue a graduate degree in optics?

While a strong foundation in math is certainly beneficial for studying optics, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs in optics offer math and physics review courses to help students refresh their skills. Additionally, some programs may have a stronger focus on experimental work and hands-on experience rather than theoretical math-based research.

5. What kind of research opportunities are available for graduate students in optics?

There are many research opportunities available for graduate students in optics, both within academic institutions and in industry. These may include projects related to developing new optical materials, designing advanced imaging systems, or exploring new applications of optics in fields such as medicine or telecommunications. Additionally, many graduate programs offer opportunities for students to work with faculty members on their research projects or to collaborate with other research institutions and companies.