Understanding Buckingham Potentials for MgO Molecular Dynamics Simulation

• Thread starter Hypatio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, the researchers used the Buckingham potential to calculate the energy of interaction between Mg and O atoms. They found that there is no van der Waal attraction between these two elements, but there is a strong repulsion. This is due to the columbic attraction between Mg-O atoms.
Hypatio
I'm trying to investigate molecular dynamics simulation for MgO, although this research is somewhat new to me. For those of you with university access, one of the papers I am following is Shukla et al. (2008, J. Nuclear Materials) here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022311508003632

I am confused about a few things:

They use the Buckingham potential:

[tex]\psi_{ij}=A_{ij}e^{-r_{ij}/f}-\frac{C_{ij}}{r{ij}^6}[/tex]

And they have used the following parameters:

O1.7--O1.7-: A=35686.18, f=0.201, C=32
Mg1.7+-O1.7-: A=929.69, f=0.29909, C=0

[1] Is there a reason why C=0 for Mg-O interaction? This would seem to imply there is no van-der-waals attraction between these two atoms?

[2] Why is there no Mg-Mg interaction but there is O-O interaction?

[3] I have looked at the potentials and compared them to the equilibrium positions of the cubic MgO lattice and I've noticed that the energy minimum for O-O interaction is about 2.85 Angstroms, which is close to the distances between oxygens in the MgO lattice (~2.98 Angstroms), but the repulsion of Mg-Mg atoms is high here, so how does the lattice stay together? Is it the coulombic interaction which for some reason isn't discussed in any detail in any of the papers I'm reading?

Physics news on Phys.org
[1] C=0 is just to make things simpler. These potentials are produced by fitting to either experiment or electronic structure calculations. To simply the fitting process it is a common practice to remove the van der Waal terms of some interactions (but not the O-O!).

[2] For the same reason as [1]. It is very common in the field of modelling metal oxides with pair potentials to ignore cation-cation interactions. In the early days (consult the papers by Lewis and Catlow in 70's) people included cation-cation interaction but with time,experience showed that it is not necessary.

[3] Notice that Mg-Mg distance and O-O are both greater than Mg-O distance. The columbic attraction between Mg-O is enough to overcome the repulsion. However, I must say that in a many-body system it is not wise to think in terms of pairwise interactions.

Thanks! A few more:

[1] So, is the O-O interaction just much more energetic than that between cations?

[2] Are there circumstances under which cation-cation interaction becomes important? In particular I'm thinking of dielectric insulators which may have more complicated lattice structures.

[3] I am assuming that the partial charges identified (O: 1.7- and Mg: 1.7+) are meant to be included directly into the coulombic interaction as, for instance,

[tex]F_{Mg-O}=k_e\frac{q_{Mg}q_{O}}{r^2}=k_e\frac{-1.7\cdot 1.7}{r^2}[/tex]

But I want to understand how to compute (or find a database for) partial charges. From here: http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/calculations/charge.html it is said that electronegativity is related to the partial charge by a quadratic function. How would I compute partial charges for Mg-O? Other interactions I want to understand are Si-O, Fe-O, and the cation interactions Si-Fe, Mg-Fe, Mg-Si.

1. What are Buckingham potentials for MgO?

Buckingham potentials are a type of interatomic potential used in molecular simulations to describe the interactions between atoms in a crystal lattice. In the case of MgO, the potential is specifically designed to model the interactions between magnesium (Mg) and oxygen (O) atoms in a MgO crystal.

2. How are Buckingham potentials for MgO calculated?

The Buckingham potential is based on the Buckingham exponential-6 (BE6) form, which takes into account the repulsion and attraction between atoms. The parameters in the potential function are determined by fitting to experimental data and quantum mechanical calculations.

3. What is the significance of using Buckingham potentials for MgO?

Buckingham potentials for MgO are widely used in molecular simulations of MgO crystals due to their accuracy and efficiency. They can provide insights into the structural and thermodynamic properties of MgO, which are important for understanding its physical and chemical behavior.

4. What are the limitations of Buckingham potentials for MgO?

One limitation of Buckingham potentials is that they are only applicable to systems at equilibrium and cannot account for dynamic processes such as reactions or phase transitions. Additionally, their accuracy may be affected by the choice of parameters and the specific conditions of the simulation.

5. Are there alternative potentials for modeling MgO?

Yes, there are alternative potentials such as the Lennard-Jones potential and the Born-Mayer potential that can also be used to model MgO. However, these potentials may have different limitations and may not accurately capture the behavior of MgO under certain conditions. Therefore, the choice of potential depends on the specific research question and the desired level of accuracy.