What Reactions Occur When Iron Filings are Added to a Solution of Mixed Ions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reactions that occur when iron filings are added to a solution containing various ions, based on their standard electrode potentials. The person responding suggests that it would be easy to deduce which ions will undergo oxidation or reduction, based on their potentials. They also mention a URL with relevant information.
josephcollins
Hi ppl. I'm asked a question: Iron filings are added to a solution containing the ions Cu2+, Fe2+, Fe3+, H30+ and Zn2+. Deduce what reactions occur from the standard electrode potentials. Is this simply asking me which will change Fe2+ to Fe3+ and vice-versa by reduction or oxidation do you think? Thx a lot, Joe

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am sure you were given standard electrode potentials, from there it wouldn't be hard to deduce which would undergo oxidation versus the one undergoing reduction.

josephcollins said:
Hi ppl. I'm asked a question: Iron filings are added to a solution containing the ions Cu2+, Fe2+, Fe3+, H30+ and Zn2+. Deduce what reactions occur from the standard electrode potentials.
Interestingly enough, I still have this url on the clipboard
http://myfiles.dyndns.org:8080/datasheets/chem_reduction.jpg

Cu2+ will reduce, Fe2+ does nothing, Fe3+ will reduce, H+ will reduce, Zn2+ does nothing, the iron filings will oxidize whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two or more substances. One substance loses electrons, becoming oxidized, while the other substance gains electrons, becoming reduced.

What is oxidation?

Oxidation is a process in which a substance loses electrons. This can occur through the loss of hydrogen atoms, the gain of oxygen atoms, or the transfer of electrons to another substance.

What is reduction?

Reduction is a process in which a substance gains electrons. This can occur through the gain of hydrogen atoms, the loss of oxygen atoms, or the transfer of electrons from another substance.

What is an oxidizing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that causes oxidation in another substance by accepting electrons from it. It is itself reduced in the process.

What is a reducing agent?

A reducing agent is a substance that causes reduction in another substance by donating electrons to it. It is itself oxidized in the process.