Solve Torsional Pendulum Homework

• Thread starter physiks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a pendulum system when a ring is added to the disc. In case 1, the amplitude and energy remain unchanged, while in case 2, the angular momentum is conserved and the maximum angular velocity is reduced. The frequency remains the same in both cases. It is noted that the potential energy of the torsional pendulum depends on its moment of inertia and follows a similar principle to Hooke's law. However, for large displacements, the pendulum exhibits anharmonic motion.
physiks

Homework Statement

The same question was posted here before: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=73328

I'm struggling to come up with answers regarding the amplitude and energy in each case.

The Attempt at a Solution

For when the ring is dropped onto the disc when it is at rest, I can't find a way to use the maths to tell me what would happen. θ=θ0cos(ωt+ψ) but I can't justify θ0 not changing.

Obviously what happens to the energy follows from this (although I'm not sure how PE varies with amplitude exactly in this case so couldn't say anything quantitative).

When the ring is dropped onto the disc moving at ωmax, my initial thoughts are that the angular momentum is conserved at that instant (because the torque has no time to change the angular momentum in that instant), i.e the angular momentum of the disc a tiny bit before and of the disc plus ring a tiny bit after are the same. Then the maximum angular velocity reduces to 2ωmax/3. Using t=0,dθ/dt=ωmax,θ=0 gives θ=[√(I/c)]ωmaxsin(√c/I)t so then the amplitude rises by a factor of √(3/2). I'm really not sure about my approach here though. Also I'm not sure if I could apply θ=[√(I/c)]ωmaxsin(√c/I)t to the first case (I don't think I know anything about ωmax so couldn't).

Then the energy would obviously reduce (but I can't say anything quantitative).

If somebody could help me out that would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seeing the principal equations would help.

In case 1, the basic observation is that the new pendulum is created when it is momentarily at rest, i.e., when the oscillation has reached its maximum. This by definition gives you the amplitude of the oscillation. Now, does the total energy change when the ring is added, and what does mean for the frequency?

In case 2, your main line of reasoning seems good. The angular momentum is momentarily conserved, which gives you angular velocity and thus kinetic energy which happens to be the max kinetic energy, so you can apply conservation of energy and obtain the amplitude.

voko said:
Seeing the principal equations would help.

In case 1, the basic observation is that the new pendulum is created when it is momentarily at rest, i.e., when the oscillation has reached its maximum. This by definition gives you the amplitude of the oscillation. Now, does the total energy change when the ring is added, and what does mean for the frequency?

In case 2, your main line of reasoning seems good. The angular momentum is momentarily conserved, which gives you angular velocity and thus kinetic energy which happens to be the max kinetic energy, so you can apply conservation of energy and obtain the amplitude.

In terms of the frequency, the same effect occurs in each case as T=2∏√(I/c).

Case 1: so the amplitude stays the same. So the energy of the system must too be unchanged. Although it seems obvious the amplitude stays the same though, is there any physical principle which I can see this through?

Case 2: how can I relate the maximum KE to the amplitude though?

physiks said:
Case 1: so the amplitude stays the same. So the energy of the system must too be unchanged. Although it seems obvious the amplitude stays the same though, is there any physical principle which I can see this through?

In simple harmonic motion, amplitude is directly related to max potential energy. Does the potential energy of the torsional pendulum depend on its moment of inertia?

Case 2: how can I relate the maximum KE to the amplitude though?

See above and keep in mind that total mechanical energy in SHM is constant.

voko said:
In simple harmonic motion, amplitude is directly related to max potential energy. Does the potential energy of the torsional pendulum depend on its moment of inertia?

See above and keep in mind that total mechanical energy in SHM is constant.

In analogy with a mass spring system, does the PE vary with the amplitude squared? If so, why? Is there a sort of Hooke's law in this setup?

This system is fully analogous to a mass-spring system. All SHM systems are mathematically equivalent.

Hooke's law for this system is given by the relation between torque and angular displacement.

voko said:
This system is fully analogous to a mass-spring system. All SHM systems are mathematically equivalent.

Hooke's law for this system is given by the relation between torque and angular displacement.

Hmm I thought this but how is the PE of a pendulum of this form. Surely then it depends on -mglcostheta? I know it's true because the PE of a -kx force has to be like this. The pendulum just put me off a little.

If the "pendulum" is a gravity pendulum, then it undergoes simple harmonic motion only in the "small oscillation" approximation. Large displacements result in anharmonic motion. But that is no different from a mass-spring system, which also becomes anharmonic at large displacements where Hooke's law breaks down.

1. What is a torsional pendulum?

A torsional pendulum is a type of pendulum where the bob is suspended by a thin wire or rod, allowing it to twist instead of swinging back and forth like a traditional pendulum. It is used to study the properties of torsion, which is the twisting force applied to an object when one end is fixed and the other is rotated.

2. How do you solve a torsional pendulum homework problem?

To solve a torsional pendulum homework problem, you will need to use the formula T = 2π√(I/k), where T is the period of the pendulum, I is the moment of inertia of the system, and k is the torsion constant of the wire or rod. You will also need to consider any given values for the length, mass, and angle of displacement of the pendulum.

3. What is the importance of studying torsional pendulums?

Studying torsional pendulums allows us to understand the principles of torsion and how it affects different objects. This knowledge is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. Torsional pendulums also have practical applications, such as in the design of suspension systems and measuring the stiffness of materials.

4. What factors affect the period of a torsional pendulum?

The period of a torsional pendulum is affected by the moment of inertia, the torsion constant, and the angle of displacement. Other factors that may affect the period include the length and mass of the pendulum, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

5. Can the period of a torsional pendulum be adjusted?

Yes, the period of a torsional pendulum can be adjusted by changing the length or mass of the pendulum, or by altering the torsion constant of the wire or rod. The angle of displacement can also be adjusted, but it should be kept small to ensure that the pendulum follows a simple harmonic motion.