Expanding expectation equation; Linear algebra

In summary: E\{K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\}Since we have assumed that v_k is uncorrelated with x_k, the second and third expectations will become zero. This leaves us with:P_k=E\{(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)\}+E\{K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k
the_dialogue
Kalman Filter - Covariance Matrix

Kalman Filter Problem

Homework Statement

I have the following expectation formula:

[tex]P_k=E\{\left[(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)-K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\right]\left[(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)-K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\right]\}[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution

I'm told the solution is:

[tex]P_k=(I-K_k H_k)P^-_k (I-K_k H_k)^T + K_k R_k K^T_k[/tex]

where [tex]P_k[/tex] is the covariance matrix, and [tex]P^-_k[/tex] is the estimate of the covariance matrix; [tex]R_k[/tex] is the covariance of [tex]v_k[/tex], and [tex]K_k[/tex] is the "blending factor" used in the following equation:

[tex]\hat{x}_k=\hat{x}^-_k+K_k (z_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)[/tex], where z_k is the measurement.

I'm not sure how this derivation is obtained. I know that at some point I have to use the fact that [tex](x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)[/tex] is uncorrelated with [tex]v_k[/tex], but I can't seem to get to the point where I have to use this assumption. All I get is a bunch of ugly expansions!

Any help getting started would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can understand how daunting it can be to derive equations and formulas. Let me help you get started with the derivation of the covariance matrix in the Kalman Filter.

Firstly, let's define some terms and assumptions that will be useful in the derivation:

- x_k: the true state at time k
- \hat{x}^-_k: the predicted state at time k
- v_k: the measurement noise at time k
- z_k: the measurement at time k
- H_k: the measurement matrix at time k
- P_k: the covariance matrix at time k
- P^-_k: the predicted covariance matrix at time k
- K_k: the blending factor at time k
- R_k: the covariance of v_k at time k

Assumption: The measurement noise, v_k, is uncorrelated with the true state, x_k.

Now, let's begin the derivation.

We start with the given expectation formula:

P_k=E\{\left[(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)-K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\right]\left[(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)-K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\right]\}

We can expand the terms inside the brackets to get:

P_k=E\{(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)-(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)-K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)+K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\}

Now, we can use the linearity property of the expectation operator to split this into four separate expectations:

P_k=E\{(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)\}-E\{(x_k-\hat{x}^-_k)K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}^-_k)\}-E\{K_k(H_k x_k+v_k-H_k \hat{x}

1. What is the "Expanding Expectation Equation" in linear algebra?

The "Expanding Expectation Equation" is a mathematical formula used in linear algebra to calculate the expected value of a variable that depends on multiple other variables. It is based on the principle of linearity and can be applied to both discrete and continuous random variables.

2. How is the "Expanding Expectation Equation" derived?

The "Expanding Expectation Equation" is derived from the properties of expectation, specifically the linearity property. It is a generalization of the simpler expectation formula for a single variable, and it allows for the calculation of expected values for more complex functions of multiple variables.

3. What is the significance of the "Expanding Expectation Equation" in linear algebra?

The "Expanding Expectation Equation" is a powerful tool in linear algebra as it allows for the calculation of expected values for functions of multiple variables, which are often encountered in real-world applications. It also has applications in probability theory, statistics, and machine learning.

4. Can the "Expanding Expectation Equation" be applied to non-linear functions?

No, the "Expanding Expectation Equation" is only applicable to linear functions. However, it can be extended to non-linear functions by using techniques such as Taylor series approximation.

5. How is the "Expanding Expectation Equation" used in real-world applications?

The "Expanding Expectation Equation" has various applications in fields such as finance, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate expected values of variables in risk analysis, pricing models, and optimization problems. It is also used in machine learning algorithms to estimate the values of unknown variables.