Lab exploring tIV=mcΔT (water heated using heating coil)

In summary: If you would like to clarify anything further, please do not hesitate to let me know.In summary, the water reached a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius before plateauing. The temperature changed phase from liquid to gas as it increased in temperature, and the graph of current vs. voltage did not follow a linear regression. The specific heat capacity of the water was found to be 9.5 J/g.
clarissalehne
Specific Heat Capacity Lab

I conducted a lab where I heated 100ml of water using a heating coil with a current of 4A passing through it. The temperature data turned out beautifully, with the temperature rising evenly until it plateaued just under 100 degrees celsius as it began to change phase.

My aim was to find the specific heat capacity of the water by graphing IV (current times voltage) against ΔT (change in temperature) as this would give me a slope equal to mc/t.

Theory:
P=VI
P/t=Q
Q=tVI
Q=mcΔT

--> tVI=mcΔT

Strangely though, the graph of IV vs. ΔT is not linear but follows a logarithmic regression. When I plot IV vs. LN(ΔT) I get a linear graph. How can I find a slope that I can use to find the specific heat capacity? Also, is there something wrong with my data? Should the relationship be linear?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even though I don't know how you did what you did, I will try to help you. What kind of time is t in your expression? The time required for what to happen?

t was my independent variable. I monitored how the temperature of the water increased over time t. Does that make sense?

So t = 0 is when you started heating and t is some later time when the temperature of the water reached value T. Is that so?

T is the dependent. I think I have about a hundred values for each. T keeps increasing until it reaches the boiling of water.

clarissalehne said:
T is the dependent. I think I have about a hundred values for each. T keeps increasing until it reaches the boiling of water.
Please answer my questions

1. Is t the overall time from when the experiment started to when the water reached some intermediate temperature between the initial and the boiling point?

2. Is T the temperature at time t as defined above?

A simple "yes" or "no" to each of the two questions above is sufficient at this point. As I said, I am trying to understand what you did and what your symbols mean.

FAQ: Lab exploring tIV=mcΔT (water heated using heating coil)

What is the purpose of using a heating coil to heat water in a laboratory setting?

The purpose of using a heating coil is to precisely control the temperature of the water being heated. This is important for experiments that require specific temperatures for accurate results.

How does the IV=mcΔT formula relate to heating water in a laboratory?

The IV=mcΔT formula is known as the heat transfer equation, which relates the amount of heat (IV) transferred to a substance to its mass (m), specific heat capacity (c), and change in temperature (ΔT). In the case of heating water in a laboratory, the formula is used to calculate the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of the water to a desired level.

What factors can affect the accuracy of using a heating coil to heat water in a laboratory?

The accuracy of using a heating coil can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the heating coil, the placement of the coil in the water, the stirring of the water, and any external factors that may affect the temperature of the surrounding environment. Proper calibration and regular maintenance of the heating coil can also impact its accuracy.

Is it safe to use a heating coil to heat water in a laboratory?

When used correctly and following proper safety protocols, a heating coil is generally considered safe for heating water in a laboratory. It is important to monitor the temperature and ensure that the heating coil is not in contact with any flammable materials. It is also recommended to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, when handling the heating coil.

What are some alternative methods for heating water in a laboratory besides using a heating coil?

Some alternative methods for heating water in a laboratory include using a Bunsen burner, a hot plate, or a water bath. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice will depend on the specific experiment and the temperature requirements. It is important to consider safety, accuracy, and ease of use when selecting a heating method for a laboratory experiment.

Back