Why Does Applying a Second Derivative to an Antisymmetric Tensor Yield Zero?

In summary: So in summary, the first question is about the application of Noether's theorem in this specific context and the resulting conserved current T^k_i, which has a divergence of zero. This is due to the fact that the Lagrangian density is not explicitly dependent on the coordinates and the transformation is a symmetry. This also applies to the second question, which deals with the symmetric and anti-symmetric indices of the tensor T^ik and the contraction of these indices resulting in a zero expression.
electricspit
Hello,

I have two problems.

I'm going through the Classical Theory of Fields by Landau/Lifshitz and in Section 32 they're deriving the energy-momentum tensor for a general field. We started with a generalized action (in 4 dimensions) and ended up with the definition of a tensor:

[itex]
T^{k}_i =q_{,i} \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q_{,k}}-\delta^{k}_i \Lambda
[/itex]

Where [itex]q_{,i} \equiv \frac{\partial q}{\partial x^i}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the Lagrangian density of the field. This led to the conclusion that:

[itex]
\frac{\partial T^{k}_i}{\partial x^k}=0
[/itex]

Which is the first thing I'm confused about.

Second, using previous results about four divergences:

[itex]
\frac{\partial A^k}{\partial x^k} = 0
[/itex]

If this is true, then it is equivalent to saying [itex]\int A^k dS_k[/itex] is conserved. This led to:

[itex]
P^i = const. \int T^{ik}dS_k
[/itex]

The constant was determined to be [itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex] but that is unimportant to my question for now. They say the defintion of [itex]T^{ik}[/itex] is not unique since we can add a 2nd rank tensor to this and still retrieve the same result:

[itex]
T^{ik}+\frac{\partial \psi^{ik\ell}}{\partial x^{\ell}}
[/itex]

Where [itex]\psi^{ik\ell}=-\psi^{i\ell k}[/itex]. This apparently still yields:

[itex]
\frac{\partial T^{ik}}{\partial x^k}=0
[/itex]

(for now let's ignore the switching between mixed/contravariant). In other words, the symmetric operator [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^k \partial x^{\ell}}[/itex] applied to the antisymmetric (in [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\ell[/itex]):

[itex]
\frac{\partial^2 \psi^{ik\ell}}{\partial x^k \partial x^{\ell}} = 0
[/itex]

This is my second question. Why is this zero? Can anyone show me the math behind this? I'm having trouble sorting it out.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
First: [itex]T^k_i[/itex] is the kth component of the conserved current related with translations in the ith direction (I assume your Lagrangian density is not explicitly dependent on the coordinates) which means the divergence equal to zero follows directly from Noether's theorem.

Second: This is just like any contraction of symmetric vs anti-symmetric indices. Swapping the order of the indices and then renaming them gives back minus the original expression so it must be zero.

Likes 1 person
Okay so the second question definitely makes a lot of sense now and actually was quite simple.

The first question, I don't think I have strong enough understanding of Lagrangian mechanics or tensors to understand. From what I know, Noether's theorem states that if a system has certain symmetries, there will be conserved quantities associated with them. What does it mean in this specific context? You were right in assuming the Lagrangian density is not explicitly dependent on the coordinates. What do you mean by conserved current?

Thank you again.

Noether's theorem states that if a transformation of the fields and the variables is a symmetry of the Lagrangian, then there is a corresponding conserved current [itex]J^\mu[/itex] for which [itex]\partial_\mu J^\mu =0[/itex]. If you make the transformation x → x+a and your lagrangian density is not explicitly coordinate dependent, the transformation is a symmetry. The expression you have for T is the corresponding conserved current and therefore has zero divergence. If I do not misremember the wikipedia page on Noether's theorem is quite informative.

Often in classical mechanics you will see Noether's theorem as giving a conserved charge Q, i.e., dQ/dt = 0. This however assumes that the parameter is time only. When you go to field theory you, the fields also depend on the spatial coordinates and you get the generalization [itex]\partial_\mu J^\mu =0[/itex].

Thank you for the information!

1. What is the definition of the second derivative of a tensor?

The second derivative of a tensor is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of the first derivative of the tensor with respect to multiple variables. It is a tensor itself, representing the change in the first derivative of the original tensor in different directions.

2. How is the second derivative of a tensor calculated?

The second derivative of a tensor can be calculated by taking the first derivative of the tensor with respect to one variable, and then taking the derivative of that result with respect to another variable. This process can be repeated for each variable that the tensor depends on, resulting in a second derivative tensor that describes the change in the first derivative in multiple directions.

3. What is the physical significance of the second derivative of a tensor?

The second derivative of a tensor is important in the study of physical systems because it can provide information about how a tensor quantity is changing in different directions. This can help scientists understand the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid dynamics or elasticity, where multiple variables are involved.

4. Can the second derivative of a tensor be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of a tensor can be negative. This indicates that the rate of change of the first derivative is decreasing in a particular direction. This can have physical implications, such as a decrease in the rate of acceleration in a moving object.

5. How does the second derivative of a tensor relate to the concept of curvature?

The second derivative of a tensor is closely related to the concept of curvature. In fact, the curvature tensor is a specific type of second derivative tensor that describes the change in the first derivative of a vector field in a curved space. This tensor is important in the study of general relativity and other areas of physics that involve curved space.