Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6

In summary, the author is struggling with a mathematical problem and all of their math and physics skills have left them.
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have starting working through section 134 of Landau and Lifshitz, vol 6, and it seems I have entered some kind of twilight zone where all my math/physics skills have left me :cry:

The derivation starts with the energy-momentum tensor for an ideal fluid:

## T^{ik} = wu^i u^k - p g^{ik} ##,

where the Latin indices range from 0 to 3 (Greek indices would range from 1 to 3), ## w ## is the enthalpy, ## u^i ## is component i of the four-velocity, ## p ## is the pressure, and ## g^{ik} ## is the component ik of the Minkowski metric (with signature ## g^{00} = 1 ##). The derivation also employs the equation for conservation of particle number:

## \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} \left( nu^i \right) = 0 ##,

where ## n ## is the proper number density of the particles. We lower the first upper index of ## T^{ik} ## using the metric tensor as

## T_{i}^{\ k} = g_{im}T^{mk} = wg_{im}u^m u^k - p g_{im} g^{mk} = wu_i u^k -p \delta_i^k. ##

Now we take the four divergence and set it equal to zero,

## \frac{\partial T_i^{\ k}}{\partial x^k} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^k} \left[ wu_i u^k \right] - \frac{\partial p}{\partial x^i} = u_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}\left[ w u^k \right] + w u^k \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x^k} - \frac{\partial p}{\partial x^i} = 0 ##.

And here is where the trouble starts, because Landafshitz has the above equation with a plus sign next to the pressure term, not a minus. But it gets worse! In the next step, they say that ## u_i u^i = -1 ##. Now I must be really confused, because I thought that ## (u^i ) = \gamma (1,\mathbf{v}) ##, so that

## u_i u^i = u_0 u^0 + u_\alpha u^{\alpha} = \gamma^2 (1 - v^2) = 1 ##,

where ## \gamma ## is the Lorentz factor, and the speed of light has been set to unity.

Can anyone out there help me get this mess straightened out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Geofleur said:
Latin indices range from 0 to 4
What? 5 dimensional space time? :wink:

Some authors use different conventions for the metric (+---) or (-+++). The difference is the appearance of some signs here and there. You should check what convention is being adopted in each text you are dealing with.

Orodruin said:
What? 5 dimensional space time? :wink:

Ah yes, thanks, I made the appropriate edit.

Orodruin said:
Some authors use different conventions for the metric (+---) or (-+++). The difference is the appearance of some signs here and there. You should check what convention is being adopted in each text you are dealing with.

I did check this - in a footnote at the beginning of the chapter, the say that the metric has diagonal (1,-1,-1,-1), which is what I'm used to. At any rate, I can't see how the magnitude of the four velocity could end up negative o_O

Geofleur said:
At any rate, I can't see how the magnitude of the four velocity could end up negative
In the (-+++) convention, the norm squared of all time-like vectors are negative. Admittedly, I do not like this convention and usually use (+---), but it is good to know about it.

Likes Geofleur
I see - and when I worked it out just now it did come out that way! I knew that the Minkowski norm is not positive definite, but a negative magnitude of the four velocity is just weird. Also, it isn't consistent with their footnote...

I am not sure how that would help the issue with the pressure derivative having the wrong sign.

Last edited:
OK, this is unbelievable. Out of all 10 volumes, I happen to also have the version of 6 that is in Russian. When I turn to the same page where the problems occur, the signs all make sense! In the Russian edition, ## u^i u_i = 1 ## and there is a negative sign in front of the pressure term. Здорово!

I also prefer the convention (+---), but books are all over the place and you must be very careful about the convention used and the signs. No less that Gerard 't Hooft has argued that only the (-+++) is worthwhile, and that (+---) is idiotic and leads only to sign errors (see, for example, the intro to http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/lectures/genrel_2013.pdf). Of course, this being purely a convention, neither I nor you have to follow t'Hooft's opinion.

Likes Geofleur
Personally, I would do many more sign errors with the (-+++) convention ... There is just something with the four-momentum squared being minus the mass squared which is unappealing to me.

Likes ChrisVer
Sorry for the off topic but since the question is resolved and it seems to be just a typo, I don't feel too guilty. I find it interesting that people here prefer (+---). I thought, for some reason, that relativists in general prefer (-+++) and the other convention is preferred by 'particle theorists who don't understand relativity'.

Well, in the same sense as the (-+++) convention is preferred by relativists who don't understand particle theory.

martinbn said:
I find it interesting that people here prefer (+---). I thought, for some reason, that relativists in general prefer (-+++)
I think it also has to do with which convention you're first introduced to. I started off SR with Schutz, and after going through Sean Carroll's notes on GR, I just can't get out of the (-+++) habit. Usually when I see vectors with positive norms in relativity I first think "so we're dealing with spacelike vectors huh", and it often takes me a while to realize that the (+---) convention is being used instead.

Orodruin said:
Well, in the same sense as the (-+++) convention is preferred by relativists who don't understand particle theory.

:) Yes, but they do relativity, not understanding other areas is fine.

PWiz said:
I think it also has to do with which convention you're first introduced to. I started off SR with Schutz, and after going through Sean Carroll's notes on GR, I just can't get out of the (-+++) habit. Usually when I see vectors with positive norms in relativity I first think "so we're dealing with spacelike vectors huh", and it often takes me a while to realize that the (+---) convention is being used instead.

I don't know. I used to like the (+---) but then I realized I was wrong and the (-+++) is the 'right' way to go.

martinbn said:
I don't know. I used to like the (+---) but then I realized I was wrong and the (-+++) is the 'right' way to go.

To throw in a famous quote: This is not even wrong.
For things which are conventions there can be no wrong or right. They are physically indistinguishable and only a matter of philosophical debate and personal taste - much like debating QM interpretations, which I also find utterly repetitive and not bringing any new actual scientific value.

Likes PWiz
I guess the intended tone was not clear, it was a joke, I should have put some of those silly smilies not just the quotes' '

Most of the quantum field theory texts use the +--- convention. It has been with us since Schweber and Bjorken/Drell. However, this mostly minus one has the disadvantage that you cannot go to 5,6,.. space-time dimensions. That is why if helps to use +++- throughout.

The (-+++) convention is infinitely better if you work in a variable number of dimensions. It minimizes the number of ##(-1)^d## you have to write and keep track of.

In my personal study I tend to write the interval as ##ds## when I am using the (-+++) convention and ##d\tau## when I am using (+---). That helps me keep things straight in my mind. I haven't seen anyone else do that, so there is probably a problem with it.

DaleSpam said:
In my personal study I tend to write the interval as ##ds## when I am using the (-+++) convention and ##d\tau## when I am using (+---). That helps me keep things straight in my mind. I haven't seen anyone else do that, so there is probably a problem with it.
I do the same thing, and have seen no problems with that convention.

DaleSpam said:
I'm pretty sure Susskind does that in his lectures.

SlowThinker said:
I'm pretty sure Susskind does that in his lectures.
That may be where I picked it up. I have seen those lectures several years ago.

Geofleur said:
OK, this is unbelievable. Out of all 10 volumes, I happen to also have the version of 6 that is in Russian. When I turn to the same page where the problems occur, the signs all make sense! In the Russian edition, ## u^i u_i = 1 ## and there is a negative sign in front of the pressure term. Здорово!

I just discovered the Spanish translation which starts with the opposite convention (!) ## g_{00} = -1, g_{11} = g_{22} = g_{33} = +1 ##. Then indeed, ## u^i u_i = -1 ## and there's a plus in the pressure term. I don't have the original Russian - where you claim the metric is opposite (mostly minus), but I find it odd that people who translate books make changes to the original content.

upload_2015-10-24_14-18-23.png

upload_2015-10-24_14-22-16.png

In the German 5th edition (1991) everything is correct and in the west-coast formalism.

I personally use the west-coast formalism, because when I started working on the Diploma thesis at GSI, my professor told me: "You can and should do whatever you like, but you must use the west-coast convention, because that's what's done within the institute." This is good, because then at least within your institute you don't have this trouble with different conventions.

I don't see an advantage of the one or the other convention. Perhaps the east-coast convention has a little advantage when it comes to Wick rotations in QFT. The only "nogo convention" I'm aware of is to use ##\eta_{\mu \nu}=\delta_{\mu \nu}## and ##x_4=x^4=\mathrm{i} c t##. Then you get totally confused, whether you work in real or imaginary time (because the real-time formalism becomes the one with an imaginary time component ;-)).

1. How difficult is it to understand "Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6" for someone without a strong background in physics?

The level of difficulty in understanding "Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6" will depend on the individual's prior knowledge of physics concepts. This book is geared towards advanced physics students and professionals, so it may be challenging for someone without a strong background in the subject.

2. Is it necessary to read the previous volumes of Landau and Liffshitz before delving into vol 6?

No, it is not necessary to read the previous volumes of Landau and Liffshitz before reading vol 6. Each volume covers different topics in physics and can be read independently.

3. What makes "Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6" a valuable resource for scientists?

"Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6" is a valuable resource for scientists because it presents derivations and calculations for various advanced topics in theoretical physics. It is known for its clear explanations and rigorous mathematical treatments, making it a trusted reference for many physicists.

4. Can the derivations in this book be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the derivations in "Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6" can be applied to real-world situations. The book covers a wide range of topics, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and general relativity, which have practical applications in fields such as engineering and astrophysics.

5. Are there any supplementary materials or resources available for this book?

Yes, there are supplementary materials and resources available for "Derivation from Landau and Liffshitz, vol 6". The authors have published a solutions manual and there are also online forums and discussion groups where readers can ask questions and exchange ideas about the book's content.