Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions

In summary: Yes, it's definitely helpful to have a more explicit explanation of where the ##\epsilon## term comes from. Thank you for clarifying that and for pointing out the DLMF reference. That will be helpful for understanding this concept more deeply.
Domdamo
According to [Erdely A,1953; Higher Transcendental Functions, Vol I, Ch. VI.] the confluent hypergeometric equation
[tex]\frac{d^2}{d x^2} y + \left(c - x \right) \frac{d}{d x} y - a y = 0[/tex]
has got eight solutions, which are the followings:
[tex]y_1=M[a,c,x][/tex]
[tex]y_2=x^{1-c}M[a-c+1,2-c,x][/tex]
[tex]y_3=e^{x}M[c-a,c,-x][/tex]
[tex]y_4=x^{1-c}e^{x}M[1-a,2-c,-x][/tex]
[tex]y_5=U[a,c,x][/tex]
[tex]y_6=x^{1-c}U[a-c+1,2-c,x][/tex]
[tex]y_7=e^{x}U[c-a,c,-x][/tex]
[tex]y_8=x^{1-c}e^{x}U[1-a,2-c,-x][/tex]
where ##M[a,c,x]## is the confluent hypergeometric function of the first kind
and ##U[a,c,x]## is the confluent hypergeometric function of the second kind.

I would like to know how to evaluate exactly (step by step) the wronskian of the solutions. For example the ##W(y_1,y_5)## or ##W(y_5,y_7)##.
[tex] W(y_1,y_5) = y_{1} y_{5}^{'} - y_{1}^{'} y_{5} = ? =-\frac{\Gamma(c)}{\Gamma(a)} [/tex]
[tex] W(y_5,y_7) = y_{5} y_{7}^{'} - y_{5}^{'} y_{7} = ? = e^{j\cdot\pi\cdot \text{sign} \left[\Im(x)\right]\cdot (c-a)}[/tex]
The results are given in the referred book but the calculation is missing.
Can anybody help me or suggest a hint? Can anybody offer a article for this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not define my problem clearly:
We know from the Abel's theorem that the wronskian of two solutions for the confluent hypergeometic equation equal with this (if ##x\neq 0##):
[tex] W(y_m,y_n)(x)=\kappa_{m,n}e^{-\int\frac{c-x}{x}dx}=\kappa_{m,n}\cdot x^{-c}\cdot e^{x} [/tex]
where ##\kappa_{m,n} ## only depend on the choice of the ##y_m##, ##y_n##, but not on ##x##.
I would like to know how to calculate/determine for instance step by step the ##\kappa_{1,5}## or ##\kappa_{5,7}##, which are equal the followings according to [Erdélyi A, 1953, Higher transcendental functions, Ch. VI] :
[tex]\kappa_{y_1,y_5}=-\frac{\Gamma(c)}{\Gamma(a)} [/tex]
[tex]\kappa_{y_5,y_7}=e^{j\cdot\pi\cdot\text{sign}\left[\text{Im}(x)\right](c-a)} [/tex]

Can anybody help me how to evaulate these constants in this given problem?

Last edited:
W([itex]y_{1},y_{5}[/itex])

This case is fairly easy. Here is a simplified form.
Move the x terms to the left and then evaluate as $$z \rightarrow +\inf $$
First some preliminary asymptotic calculations/definitions from "Handbook of Mathematical Functions" 13,5,1
Replacing c by b to conform with the Handbook.
$$ M_{z\rightarrow
+\inf} : \Gamma\left( b\right) \,\left( \frac{{z}^{a−b}\,{e}^{z}}{\Gamma\left( a\right) }+\frac{{e}^{\mp \pi \,a\,i}}{\Gamma\left( b−a\right) \,{z}^{a}}\right) $$
$$ DM : \frac{dM}{dz} = \Gamma\left( b\right) \,\left( \frac{{z}^{a−b}\,{e}^{z}}{\Gamma\left( a\right) }+\frac{\left( a−b\right) \,{z}^{−b+a−1}\,{e}^{z}}{\Gamma\left( a\right) }−\frac{a\,{e}^{\mp \pi \,a\,i}\,{z}^{−a−1}}{\Gamma\left( b−a\right) }\right) $$
$$ U_{z\rightarrow
+\inf} : \frac{1}{z^{a}}$$
$$ DU : \frac{dU}{dz} = -a*\frac{1}{z^{1+a}}$$
Evaluating for the constant.
$$ e^{-z} \cdot z^{b} \cdot (−\frac{\Gamma\left( b\right) \,{e}^{z}}{\Gamma\left( a\right) \,{z}^{b}}+\frac{b\,\Gamma\left( b\right) \,{z}^{−b−1}\,{e}^{z}}{\Gamma\left( a\right) }−\frac{2\,a\,\Gamma\left( b\right) \,{z}^{−b−1}\,{e}^{z}}{\Gamma\left( a\right) })$$
Taking the dominant term in the third term
$$ k_{1,5}=−\frac{\Gamma\left( b\right) }{\Gamma\left( a\right) }$$
Recovering the z dependent factors
$$ W(y_{1},y_{5})=-z^{-b}e^{z}\frac{\Gamma\left( b\right) }{\Gamma\left( a\right) }$$

There are a lot of simplifications that could be done; but I used wxmaxima to make sure I didn't slip up.
Doing $$W(y_{1},y_{2})$$ or $$W(y_{5},y_{7})$$is a little more subtle but basically the same.

Abramowitz, Milton, and Irene A. Stegun. Handbook of mathematical functions. Vol. 1046. New York: Dover, 1965.
Digital copy at ; http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/

Thanks Ray. :)

With this help , I think I am capable to solve my problem.

Dear Ray,

I do not to find out where the ##\epsilon=\text{sign}\left[\mathfrak{Im}(x)\right]## come from, when I evaluated the ##k_{5,7}##.

My calculation for ##|x|## large:
$$y_5=U[a,c,x]\propto x^{-a}$$
$$y_5^{'}=-a\cdot U[a+1,c+1,x]\propto -a\cdot x^{-a-1}$$
$$y_7=e^x\cdot U[c-a,c,-x]\propto e^x\cdot (-x)^{a-c}$$
$$y_7^{'}=e^x\cdot U[c-a,c,-x]+(c-a) e^x \cdot U[c-a+1,c+1,-x] \propto e^x\cdot (-x)^{a-c} + (c-a)\cdot e^x \cdot (-x)^{a-c-1}$$
Putting these asymptotic identities into the following equation:

$$k_{5,7}=x^c \cdot e^x\cdot\left( y_{5}\cdot y_{7}^{'} - y_{5}^{'}\cdot y_{7}\right)$$
the result will be this:
$$k_{5,7}=x^{c-a}\cdot (-x)^{a-c}\cdot \left( 1+\frac{2a-c}{x}\right)$$
Since ##x\rightarrow\infty##

$$k_{5,7}=x^{c-a}\cdot (-x)^{a-c}=\left(\frac{x}{-x}\right)^{c-a}$$

$$k_{5,7}=\left(-1\right)^{c-a} = e^{\text{ln}\left[(-1)^{c-a}\right]}=e^{j\pi(c-a)}$$

My problem is that how the ##\epsilon=\text{sign}\left[\mathfrak{Im}(x)\right]## enter to this calculation?
Could you give me some hint?

Adam

Sorry I didn't answer earlier. Apparently I got dropped off the email list?
I think the situation is a lot clearer in DLMF 13.2.38 . But basically it means you have arbitrarily selected the sign of ln(-1) i.e.
$$-1=e^{-i\pi}=e^{i\pi}$$
The principal branch is
$$-\pi<arg(z)\leqq\pi$$
In the division you threw away the direction; like the sign of tan(x) loses some quadrant information that has to be kept around separately if you want to do atan() correctly.
The reason I like the DLMF version is that the coordination of the direction of z and the Wronskian is explicitly pointed out. Let me point out the two choice lead to two separate solutions which have the advantage of the Wronskian having no poles (except z=0) .
In addition examing DLMF 13.2.41 shows how the imaginary parts cancel out when z is real. As a matter of fact (well as I recall) you can use 13.2.41 to prove that
U(complex conjugate z)= complex conjugate U(z) . But I have taken up to much room already.
In the problem I had, the poles of the other Wronskian's kept getting in the way of numerically finding the eigenvalues; until I realized that 13.2.38 was "clean" like sine/cos in trig. As a matter of fact one could sum and difference the two solutions and find the real and complex parts; or use Eulers expansion.
Sorry to ramble on but these realizations cost me some time :)

Dear Ray!

Thanks Ray for the information. With your explanation I have understood how to come in the ##\epsilon##.

I also got dropped off the email list. (Maybe because of the new face of the physics forums.) That's why I just saw your answer.

No Problem; I am getting better at Confluent Hypergeometric functions; a somewhat narrow specialization :) but one that seems to occur and a lot of people ( like me) were put off by the intricacies. BTW: I did calculate the asymptotic via Sage and not just copied it (double checking is good); If you like I could try to retrieve the code.

Related to Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions

What is the Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions?

The Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions is a mathematical concept that measures the linear independence of two solutions to the confluent hypergeometric differential equation. It is denoted by W(f,g) and is equal to the determinant of the matrix [f g; f' g'], where f and g are solutions to the confluent hypergeometric equation and f' and g' are their respective derivatives.

How is the Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions used in mathematics?

The Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions is used in the study of differential equations and linear algebra. It can be used to determine if two solutions to the confluent hypergeometric equation are linearly independent, which is important in finding the general solution to the equation.

What is the relationship between the Wronskian and the general solution of the confluent hypergeometric equation?

The Wronskian of two solutions to the confluent hypergeometric equation can help determine the general solution to the equation. If the Wronskian is non-zero, then the solutions are linearly independent and the general solution can be written as a linear combination of the two solutions. If the Wronskian is zero, then the solutions are linearly dependent and the general solution may need to be adjusted.

How is the Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions related to other mathematical concepts?

The Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions is related to concepts such as linear independence, determinants, and the theory of ordinary differential equations. It is also used in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and wave phenomena.

Are there any special properties of the Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions?

Yes, the Wronskian of the confluent hypergeometric functions has several important properties. For example, it is a homogeneous function of degree one, meaning that it is proportional to the product of its arguments. It also satisfies a differential equation known as the Wronskian identity, which can be used to simplify calculations involving the Wronskian.