How can you prove that the limit of a sequence is a limit point of a set?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a given point x is a limit point of a subset A of the real numbers. By definition, a point is a limit point if every epsilon neighborhood of the point intersects A in a point other than x. The conversation goes on to explain that this can be proven by showing that for any given epsilon, there exists a point in A that falls within the epsilon neighborhood of x. The conversation also clarifies that this proposition is an "if and only if" statement, but proving this direction is easier as it only requires showing that "all but a finitely many points" in A fall within the epsilon neighborhood of x.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Let x [tex]\in[/tex] R, and let A [tex]\subset[/tex] R. Let (an) be a sequence with an [tex]\in[/tex] A and (an) [tex]\neq[/tex] x for all n [tex]\in[/tex] N, and assume
that x = lim (an.) Prove that x is a limit point of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that x=lim(an). Meaning there exists a N [tex]\in[/tex] N so that for n[tex]\geq[/tex]N:
|an-x|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Which would make the [tex]\epsilon[/tex]- neighborhood of (an)= (an- [tex]\epsilon[/tex], an+ [tex]\epsilon[/tex])

After this I don't know what to do. I need to show that every epsilon neighborhood of V(x) intersects A in some point other than x.

Any tips would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful, your e-neighborhood is off. Remember |a_n - x| < e means x - e < a_n < x + e or a_n is in (x - e, x + e). Now you know that a_n =/= x for each n, so what can you conclude.

Of course this proposition is an if and only if, but this direction is probably clearer since "all but a finitely many points" certainly implies "at least one".

alright so if the epsilon neighborhood is (x-e,x+e) and (an) is unequal to x for all n in N would that mean that for some N in N when n>=N that (an) is contained in the epsilon neighborhood. Which would mean that x is the limit point of (an)?

oh wait, nevermind, i think I got it. I was trying to make it more complicated than it really was. I am finding this whole open sets, closed sets and limit points idea kind of confusing.

What is an Analysis Limit Point Proof?

An Analysis Limit Point Proof is a method used in mathematical analysis to prove the existence of a limit point for a given sequence or function. It involves finding a point that is infinitely close to a given point, which can be used to establish the existence of a limit at that point.

How is an Analysis Limit Point Proof different from other types of proofs?

An Analysis Limit Point Proof is different from other types of proofs because it focuses on the behavior of a sequence or function at a specific point, rather than the entire sequence or function. This allows for a more precise and rigorous proof of the existence of a limit point.

What are the key steps in an Analysis Limit Point Proof?

The key steps in an Analysis Limit Point Proof include defining the sequence or function, stating the limit point to be proven, and using the definition of a limit point to show that there exists a point infinitely close to the given point. This point is then used to prove the existence of a limit at the given point.

When is an Analysis Limit Point Proof necessary?

An Analysis Limit Point Proof is necessary when trying to prove the existence of a limit point for a sequence or function that is not continuous. In these cases, the traditional methods of proving limits may not be applicable, making an Analysis Limit Point Proof the most appropriate approach.

Are there any limitations to an Analysis Limit Point Proof?

Yes, there are some limitations to an Analysis Limit Point Proof. It may not be applicable for proving the existence of limit points for certain types of sequences or functions, such as those that are oscillating or have discontinuities. Additionally, it may be difficult to apply this method for sequences or functions with complex behavior near the limit point.