Proving Sequence Convergence Using Induction

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to approach this question from 1b onwards. They have circled one of the properties of the bisection process in their reading, and are wondering if this is the question they are supposed to be answering. They have tried to solve the problem, but have stopped after realizing that sk-1 is invalid. They are stumped as to how to start in on this thing, so if someone could give them a push, that would be really helpful.
Meggle

Homework Statement

I'm looking for a kick in the right direction of how to approach it from 1b onwards ('cos thankfully I can figure out 1a for myself). Please see the attached screenshot (I'm not good at making the formulas appear right).

Homework Equations

I'm really not sure. I've noticed looking back through the readings that the bit I've circled in b is one of the properties of the bisection process, e.g "the length of the interval is halved at each step". I'm wondering if this question is getting me to demonstrate that effect. Other thank that, this chapter covers intro to Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, Cauchy sequences, and using these with the triangle inequality and a little bit of the telescoping property.

The Attempt at a Solution

Umm? I tried:
Let sk+2 - 1/2(sk+1 + sk) for all k[tex]\geq[/tex]1 and suppose |sk+2 - sk+1|
then |sk+2 - sk+1| = |1/2 (sk+1 - sk) - 1/2 (sk - sk-1)|
but given k[tex]\geq[/tex]1, isn't sk-1 invalid? If k=1 then sk-1=s0 which isn't part of the sequence.
So I stopped.
then I thought how about then |sk+2 - sk+1| = |1/2 (sk+1 - sk) - sk+1|
= |1/2(-sk+1 - sk)|
but then the sk+1 is negative, and I couldn't think of a way of making just that bit positive.
So I wondered if I was going about this completely the wrong way, and maybe I should be using the triangle inequality, except the answer isn't an inequality.
Hence I'm stumped as to how to start in on this thing, so if someone could give me a push, that would be really helpful.

Attachments

• MH exercise.png
    MH exercise.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
Meggle said:

Homework Statement

I'm looking for a kick in the right direction of how to approach it from 1b onwards ('cos thankfully I can figure out 1a for myself). Please see the attached screenshot (I'm not good at making the formulas appear right).

Homework Equations

I'm really not sure. I've noticed looking back through the readings that the bit I've circled in b is one of the properties of the bisection process, e.g "the length of the interval is halved at each step". I'm wondering if this question is getting me to demonstrate that effect. Other thank that, this chapter covers intro to Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, Cauchy sequences, and using these with the triangle inequality and a little bit of the telescoping property.

The Attempt at a Solution

Umm? I tried:
Let sk+2 - 1/2(sk+1 + sk) for all k[tex]\geq[/tex]1 and suppose |sk+2 - sk+1|
then |sk+2 - sk+1| = |1/2 (sk+1 - sk) - 1/2 (sk - sk-1)|
but given k[tex]\geq[/tex]1, isn't sk-1 invalid? If k=1 then sk-1=s0 which isn't part of the sequence.
So I stopped.
then I thought how about then |sk+2 - sk+1| = |1/2 (sk+1 - sk) - sk+1|
= |1/2(-sk+1 - sk)|
but then the sk+1 is negative, and I couldn't think of a way of making just that bit positive.
In order for that to make sense you would have to have [itex]k\ge 2[/itex] but that's okay- you can prove [itex]|s_{n+2}- s_{n+1}|= (1/2)|s_{n+1}- s_n|[/itex] for n= 1, that is, that [itex]|s_3- s_2|= (1/2)|s_2- s_1|[/itex], directly.

So I wondered if I was going about this completely the wrong way, and maybe I should be using the triangle inequality, except the answer isn't an inequality.
Hence I'm stumped as to how to start in on this thing, so if someone could give me a push, that would be really helpful.

[tex]
s_{n+2}=\frac{1}{2}(s_{n+1}+s_{n})
[/tex]
Hence
[tex]
s_{n+2}-s_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2}(s_{n+1}+s_{n})-s_{n+1}=-\frac{1}{2}(s_{n+1}-s_{n})
[/tex]
Take the modulus and you have what they're asking you.

This is a nice question by the way, we never had such nice questions when I was studying analysis.

hunt_mat said:
[tex]
s_{n+2}=\frac{1}{2}(s_{n+1}+s_{n})
[/tex]
Hence
[tex]
s_{n+2}-s_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2}(s_{n+1}+s_{n})-s_{n+1}=-\frac{1}{2}(s_{n+1}-s_{n})
[/tex]
Take the modulus and you have what they're asking you.

Oh yeah. Ack! I've been doing my head in over a typo! :blushing: Thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
In order for that to make sense you would have to have [itex]k\ge 2[/itex] but that's okay- you can prove [itex]|s_{n+2}- s_{n+1}|= (1/2)|s_{n+1}- s_n|[/itex] for n= 1, that is, that [itex]|s_3- s_2|= (1/2)|s_2- s_1|[/itex], directly.

Directly as in the same way as below (i.e. without my + becoming a -), or by calculating the s3 and s2 explicitly, or some other way?

Last edited:
As HallsOfIvy says, you can get the first few terms by calculating explicitly (I would recommend this). This is the first part of the induction process, you have to say what values of k for equation is valid for and then complete the proof.

It's not that hard if you've done induction before.

1. What is "Analysis - sequence proof"?

"Analysis - sequence proof" is a method of mathematical proof used in the field of analysis. It involves breaking down a complex mathematical statement or problem into smaller, simpler steps, and then using logical reasoning and previously proven theorems to show that the statement or problem is true.

2. How does "Analysis - sequence proof" differ from other proof methods?

Unlike other proof methods, "Analysis - sequence proof" focuses on the sequence of steps taken to arrive at a solution. It requires careful attention to detail and mathematical rigor, as well as a deep understanding of the underlying concepts and theorems.

3. What types of problems are typically solved using "Analysis - sequence proof"?

"Analysis - sequence proof" is commonly used to prove statements related to calculus, real analysis, and other areas of mathematics that deal with continuous functions and infinite sequences. It is also useful for proving the convergence or divergence of mathematical series.

4. What are the benefits of using "Analysis - sequence proof"?

"Analysis - sequence proof" is a systematic and logical approach to problem-solving that allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It also helps to build critical thinking skills and can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems.

5. What are some common challenges when using "Analysis - sequence proof"?

One of the main challenges of "Analysis - sequence proof" is that it requires a high level of mathematical understanding and proficiency. It can also be time-consuming and may involve multiple steps and sub-proofs. Additionally, it can be difficult to identify the correct sequence of steps to take when solving a problem.