Analysis - Upper and Lower Bounds

In summary, the terms "y is an upper bound for E" and "y is the least upper bound for E" are defined as follows: (i) y is an upper bound for E if for every x in E, x is less than or equal to y. (ii) y is the least upper bound for E if y is an upper bound for E, and if any other upper bound y1 for E is less than or equal to y, then y1 is not considered an upper bound for E.
teme92

Homework Statement

Let E be a non-empty subset of the real numbers R. De fine carefully each of the terms
(i) 'y is an upper bound for E' and (ii) 'y is the least upper bound for E'

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've just started doing analysis and I'm unsure how I'm supposed to answer this. As its a definition I can't come up with any solution. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:

Homework Statement

Let E be a non-empty subset of the real numbers R. De fine carefully each of the terms
(i) 'y is an upper bound for E' and (ii) 'y is the least upper bound for E'

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've just started doing analysis and I'm unsure how I'm supposed to answer this. As its a definition I can't come up with any solution. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone :smile:

You will have go struggle with it---we are not allowed to answer for you. Are you using a textbook? Do you have course notes? Are you claiming that those sources contain nothing on the relevant topics?

Hi Ray,

I understand what upper and lower bounds are its just the phrasing of the question that's confusing me. Can I say:

E={x ε R: x≥n & x≤m, n,m εR}

Y is upper bound if y≥n
Y is lower bound if y≤m

Thanks for the quick response and appreciate any further help.

teme92 said:
Hi Ray,

I understand what upper and lower bounds are its just the phrasing of the question that's confusing me. Can I say:

E={x ε R: x≥n & x≤m, n,m εR}

Y is upper bound if y≥n
Y is lower bound if y≤m

Thanks for the quick response and appreciate any further help.

No, you have it backwards. The way you have written E, it must be the interval [n,m], but that was not given in the question. All you know is that ##E \subset \mathbb{R}##. For example, E could be all the real numbers of the form ##1-1/n, n = 1,2, \ldots##, and these certainly do not form an interval.

In the lines below, where you say "Y is upper bound if y≥n" etc, you do not say what is n.

So do I just say:

i) yεF is an upper bound for E if x≤y whenever xεE

ii) yεF is a least upper bound if y is an upper bound for E and if y1εF and y1≤y then y1 is not an upper bound for E

1. What are upper and lower bounds?

Upper and lower bounds are values that indicate the highest and lowest possible values for a set of data, respectively. They are used to give a range of possible values within which the true value of the data is likely to lie.

2. How are upper and lower bounds calculated?

Upper and lower bounds are calculated by taking the highest and lowest values in a data set and adding or subtracting a certain margin of error. This margin of error is based on the precision of the data and any potential sources of variability.

3. What is the importance of upper and lower bounds in data analysis?

Upper and lower bounds are important in data analysis because they provide a way to quantify the uncertainty or variability of data. They can also help in making decisions or drawing conclusions based on the data, as they give a more realistic and accurate range of possible values.

4. How are upper and lower bounds used in statistics?

In statistics, upper and lower bounds are used to create confidence intervals, which are ranges of values within which the true value of a population parameter is likely to lie. They are also used in hypothesis testing, where the upper and lower bounds determine the critical values for a test statistic.

5. Can upper and lower bounds be negative?

Yes, upper and lower bounds can be negative. They are not limited to positive values and can be both positive and negative depending on the data set. For example, in a data set of temperatures, the lower bound may be a negative value indicating the lowest possible temperature, while the upper bound may be a positive value indicating the highest possible temperature.