Supremum, Infimum (Is my proof correct?)

In summary: I don't think you need to say "hence -A is bounded above since -ξ∈R". Just say "hence -ξ is an upper bound of -A".
Incand

Homework Statement

Let ##A## be a nonempty set of real numbers which is bounded below. Let ##-A## be the set of all numbers ##-x##, where ##x \in A##. Prove that
##\inf A = -\sup(-A)##.

Homework Equations

Definition:
Suppose ##S## is an ordered set, ##E\subset S##, and ##E## is bounded above. Suppose there exists an ##\alpha \in S## with the following properties:
(i) ##\alpha## is an upper bound of ##E##.
(ii) If ##\gamma < \alpha## then ##\gamma## is not an upper bound of ##E##.
Then ##\alpha## is called the supremum of ##E## and we write ##\alpha = \sup E##.
(Equivalently for infimum)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the definition of supremum ##\exists \alpha > y, \forall y \in -A## or equivalently ##\exists \alpha > -x, \forall x \in A##.
Then ##-\alpha < x, \forall x \in A##, hence ##-\alpha = -\sup(-A)## is a lower bound of ##A##.

It's left to show that if ##\gamma > -\alpha## then ##\gamma## is not an lower bound of ##A##.
Suppose ##\gamma## is a lower bound of ##A## with ##\gamma > -\alpha##. Then ##\gamma < x \forall x\in A## or equivalently ##-\gamma > -x \forall x \in A##. But this means that ##\gamma## is an upper bound of ##-A## and since ##\sup(-A) = \alpha## we have that ##-\gamma \ge \alpha## or equivalently ##\gamma \le -\alpha## a contradiction! Hence ##\inf A = -\sup(-A)##.

Is the above correct? Anything I could do to improve it? I'm quite new to proofs so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

Let ##A## be a nonempty set of real numbers which is bounded below. Let ##-A## be the set of all numbers ##-x##, where ##x \in A##. Prove that
##\inf A = -\sup(-A)##.

Homework Equations

Definition:
Suppose ##S## is an ordered set, ##E\subset S##, and ##E## is bounded above. Suppose there exists an ##\alpha \in S## with the following properties:
(i) ##\alpha## is an upper bound of ##E##.
(ii) If ##\gamma < \alpha## then ##\gamma## is not an upper bound of ##E##.
Then ##\alpha## is called the supremum of ##E## and we write ##\alpha = \sup E##.
(Equivalently for infimum)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the definition of supremum ##\exists \alpha > y, \forall y \in -A## or equivalently ##\exists \alpha > -x, \forall x \in A##.
Then ##-\alpha < x, \forall x \in A##, hence ##-\alpha = -\sup(-A)## is a lower bound of ##A##.

It's left to show that if ##\gamma > -\alpha## then ##\gamma## is not an lower bound of ##A##.
Suppose ##\gamma## is a lower bound of ##A## with ##\gamma > -\alpha##. Then ##\gamma < x \forall x\in A## or equivalently ##-\gamma > -x \forall x \in A##. But this means that ##\gamma## is an upper bound of ##-A## and since ##\sup(-A) = \alpha## we have that ##-\gamma \ge \alpha## or equivalently ##\gamma \le -\alpha## a contradiction! Hence ##\inf A = -\sup(-A)##.

Is the above correct? Anything I could do to improve it? I'm quite new to proofs so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it seems that you set ##\alpha=-\sup(-A)##, and then prove that ##-\alpha=\inf A##.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? You are given that ##A## is bounded below, meaning ##\inf A## exists. Set ##\alpha=\inf A## and prove that ##\alpha = -\sup(-A)##.
Or, you could do it as you did, but then first prove that if ##A## has a lower bound, ##-A## has an upper bound.

Likes Incand
Good point! I'm going to go with trying to prove that ##-A## have an upper bound. It seemed easier to start on the more complicated side.
##A## is bounded below, that is ##\exists \xi \in \mathbf R## such that ##\xi < x, \forall x\in A##. But this means that ##-\xi > -x, \forall x\in A## that is ##-\xi > y, \forall y \in -A##, hence ##-A## is bounded above since ##-\xi \in \mathbf R##.

If I put that in before the start of my earlier proof, would that do it?

Edit: I'm also using the proposition that
If ##x<0## and ##y<z## then ##xy>xz##
And others, but I guess I don't have to write thing like this out for every step.

Likes Samy_A
Looks fine.

Likes Incand

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound, while the infimum is the largest lower bound. In other words, the supremum is the least possible value that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set, and the infimum is the greatest possible value that is less than or equal to all the elements in the set.

2. How do I find the supremum or infimum of a set?

To find the supremum of a set, you can list out all the elements in the set and find the largest one. Alternatively, you can use the definition of supremum and check if a number is an upper bound by seeing if it is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set. The same process can be used to find the infimum, except you are looking for the smallest lower bound.

3. What is the difference between supremum and maximum, and infimum and minimum?

The supremum and infimum of a set may or may not be actual elements in the set. However, if the supremum or infimum happens to be an element in the set, then it is also the maximum or minimum of the set, respectively. The supremum or infimum can also be equal to the maximum or minimum if they exist.

4. How do I prove that a number is the supremum or infimum of a set?

To prove that a number is the supremum or infimum of a set, you can use the definition and show that the number is an upper or lower bound, respectively. Another approach is to use the properties of supremum and infimum, such as the fact that they are unique, to show that the number must be the supremum or infimum.

5. Is my proof of the supremum or infimum correct?

To determine if your proof of the supremum or infimum is correct, you can check if it satisfies the definition and properties of supremum and infimum. It may also be helpful to have someone else review your proof to catch any errors or offer suggestions for improvement.