How does de Broglie postulate enter into the Schroedinger theory?

In summary: This is a very important point.In summary, the de Broglie postulate is built into the Schrodinger wave mechanics, and this can be demonstrated with the free-particle system. However, for particles moving through regions of changing potential, the de Broglie wavelength changes, and a more complex mathematical approach is needed to describe the wave function.
Mitadru Banik
How does de Broglie postulate enter into the Schroedinger theory?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In position-representation (Schrodinger) quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is [itex]{\bf p}=-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] and a plane wave wavefunction of wavelength ##\lambda## is [itex]\psi (x) = e^{2 \pi i x / \lambda}[/itex]. If you operate on the plane wave with the momentum operator, you get [itex]{\bf p} e^{2 \pi i x / \lambda}=\frac{2 \pi \hbar}{\lambda}e^{2 \pi i x / \lambda}[/itex], i.e. the plane wave is a momentum eigenstate with momentum [itex]p = \frac{2 \pi \hbar}{\lambda} = \frac{h}{\lambda}[/itex]. This relation between momentum and wavelength is exactly the De Broglie postulate.

So, we see here that the DB postulate is "built-in" in the Schrodinger wave mechanics.

Likes 1 person
What happen if the function is an harmonic oscillator function?

The solutions of harmonic oscillator Schrodinger equation are not momentum eigenstates. The fact that De Broglie momentum-wavelength relation is reproduced in Schrodinger QM must be demonstrated with the free-particle system (in which the solutions of SE are plane waves with well defined momentum and wavelength).

can you suggest me a good textbook for quantum mech which will help me to clear any interview in quantum mech.. please its urgent..i have an interview in between 2 weeks...

Principles of Quantum Mechanics by R. Shankar is one of many good quantum mechanics textbooks. But before you run out and buy it or any other, you should let us know what the interview is for and what your mathematics and physics background is. Is the interview for a job, or for school placement or for what? Have you had calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and/or a basic physics survey course?

Likes 1 person
Mitadru Banik said:
can you suggest me a good textbook for quantum mech which will help me to clear any interview in quantum mech.. please its urgent..i have an interview in between 2 weeks...
You aren't going to be able to learn Quantum Mechanics from scratch in two weeks, especially if you don't already have a book on the subject. And nothing turns an interviewer off faster than the sense that you're trying to bluff him out. My advice is to be honest and admit that you're not very familiar with it.

Likes 1 person
I disagree. You will benefit more from trying and failing than you will from not trying. You can't learn all of QM in two weeks, but you may learn enough to pass the interview.

Likes 1 person
Vic Sandler said:
I disagree. You will benefit more from trying and failing than you will from not trying. You can't learn all of QM in two weeks, but you may learn enough to pass the interview.
I guess my comment comes from experience dealing with TA's who said they knew Quantum Mechanics and didn't.

I have already read Resnick and Eisberg but still there are many confusions about the subject which is not good for my interview. Actually the interview is for my MSc admission. So i need a easy book which can remove my most of the confusions about the subject.

Mitadru Banik said:
What happen if the function is an harmonic oscillator function?

The de Broglie model describes free particles, which have constant momentum and hence a well-defined and constant wavelength.

For particles that move through regions of changing potential, the wavelength changes from point to point. If you want to pursue this analogy, think of light moving through a region of changing refractive index: the wavelength changes from point to point. To describe light "waves" mathematically in this situation you would need to consider contributions from more than one wavelength, i.e. by using a sum of harmonic terms, otherwise known as a Fourier series or integral.

The wave functions that arise in the Schroedinger equation can similarly be thought of as Fourier series or integrals of harmonic functions that conform to certain boundary conditions.

...Incidentally, looked at in this way, the momentum operator mentioned above by Hilbert2 appears naturally as a (well-known) mathematical property of Fourier transforms.

Likes 1 person

1. What is de Broglie's postulate and how does it relate to the Schroedinger theory?

De Broglie's postulate states that any particle, including subatomic particles, can exhibit wave-like properties. This idea was integrated into the Schroedinger theory, which uses wave equations to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How did de Broglie's postulate change the understanding of particles in quantum mechanics?

De Broglie's postulate challenged the traditional understanding of particles as only having particle-like properties. It introduced the concept that particles could also exhibit wave-like behavior, leading to the development of wave equations in quantum mechanics.

3. Can you provide an example of de Broglie's postulate in action in the Schroedinger theory?

An example of de Broglie's postulate in the Schroedinger theory is the wave-like behavior of electrons in an electron microscope. The wavelength of the electrons is determined by their momentum, which is described by the Schroedinger equation.

4. How does de Broglie's postulate impact the understanding of the uncertainty principle?

De Broglie's postulate played a crucial role in the development of the uncertainty principle. It helped scientists understand that particles cannot have both a definite position and a definite momentum at the same time, as their wave-like properties make it impossible to precisely measure both attributes simultaneously.

5. Why is de Broglie's postulate important in modern physics?

De Broglie's postulate is important in modern physics because it paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics and our current understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also helped reconcile the discrepancies between classical physics and the emerging field of quantum mechanics.