Quick angular momentum question

In summary, the question asks for the eigenvalues for total angular momentum and its z component given the quantum numbers j1 = 1 and j2 = 2. The possible values of J for the total angular momentum are [|j1-j2|<J<j1+j2[/tex] and the eigenvalues for Jz are (m1+m2)|J,MJ). The eigenvalues for J^2 are J(J+1) and can be obtained by taking the square root of the total angular momentum. Decoupling the angular momentums to find these values is not recommended as it requires diagonalizing the matrix.
Beer-monster
A hopefully, quick issue I just wanted to be clear on before my exam.

One question gave me two quantum numbers for total angular momentum.
j1 = 1 and j2 = 2. The question asks to list the Eigenvalues for toatl angular momentum and its z component.

I think I can do the later part okay by working out the possible combinations of the various m quantum number.

However I'm a little unsure about the first part? Should I be calculating the Eigenvalues for the square of each angular momentum component j1^2 and j2^2, square rooting or adding (or adding an square rooting). Or should I add the numbers together then calculate the Eigenvalue?

Or none of the above:redface:

I hope that all made sense

Physics news on Phys.org
okay, when [tex]J=j_1+j_2[/tex], possible values of J are [|j_1-j_2|<J<j_1+j_2[/tex].
eigenvalues and eigen vectors for [tex]J_z[/tex] are: [tex]J_z|J,M_J>=M_J|J,M_J>=(m_1+m_2)|J,M_J)[/tex]
and eigenvalues for [tex]J^2[/tex] are [tex]J(J+1)[/tex] so just aqrt it for the total angular momentum.

theres no need to decouple the angular momentums to find these values (and it isn't recommanded either), if youd try to get the values for the decoupled momentum youd have [tex](j_1^1+2j_1j_2+j_2^2)(|j_1,m_{j_1}>+|j_2,m_{j_2}>)[/tex] as you can see, youd have to diagonize the matrix inorder to get the eigen values, because [tex]j_1j_2=j_{1z}j_{2z}+j_{1x}j_{2x}+j_{1y}j_{2y}=j_{1z}j_{2z}+\frac{1}{2}(j_{1+}j_{2-}+j_{1-}j_{2+})[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of an object.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) by the angular velocity (ω). It can also be calculated by multiplying the mass (m) by the velocity (v) and the radius (r) from the axis of rotation, using the equation L = mvr.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external torques acting on it. This means that if an object or system is rotating, it will continue to do so at a constant rate unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum in everyday life include a spinning top, a spinning bicycle wheel, and the rotation of the Earth around its axis. Other examples can be found in sports, such as a spinning figure skater and a spinning football.

5. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum and torque are closely related. Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, while angular momentum is the measure of that rotation. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes a change in its angular momentum. This relationship is described by the equation τ = dL/dt, where τ is torque, L is angular momentum, and t is time.