Start Learning Physics and Astronomy: A Guide for 14-Year-Olds

• Thread starter Ryanzmw
  • Start date
In summary, if you are interested in physics and astronomy, you should start by doing well in your high school classes and then self-study if you are interested. You can also check out the Learning Materials and the first two documents for more information. To learn about astronomy, join a local club and read "Elements of Algebra" by Euler.
Ryanzmw
Ok, I'm in year 9 at school so I'm 14 and really interested in physics and astronomy, but I've only really covered what was taught at my school so where should i start i only know very very basic calculus and some logarithms, so where do i start for both physics and astronomy.

btw I've looked in the learning materials and read the first 2 documents, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryanzmw said:
Ok, I'm in year 9 at school so I'm 14 and really interested in physics and astronomy, but I've only really covered what was taught at my school so where should i start i only know very very basic calculus and some logarithms, so where do i start for both physics and astronomy.

btw I've looked in the learning materials and read the first 2 documents, thanks.

Hey Ryanzmw and welcome to the forums.

I would advise you to make sure you have adequate grades from high school to get into the university of your preference.

Other than this though if you want to explore these topics, I would recommend Khan Academy for this at www.khanacademy.org which has a lot of video tutorials.

Also post in this forum if you have specific questions on something.

Most important in terms of classes is to take the highest mathematics subjects you can as well as physics and possibly chemistry. Also make sure you do a decent english course as well. Whatever the hardest courses are in those areas (except english, but still do a decent level course for english), do those and get the best marks you can for those.

Ryanzmw said:

Chiro's advice is good of course: do well in your classes and take the highest science classes available.

However, next to that, you might like self-studying. Maybe you could try self-studying trigonometry or geometry and stuff??

The book "Basic mathematics" by Serge Lang contains everything you need to know before starting calculus. Maybe you should try your hand at reading it?? Warning: it's not an easy book AT ALL for a 14 year old. So perhaps you would like easier books...

I'd suggest joining a local astronomy club. I did that at your age, and I learned a ton of about astronomy before I got to college - enough to be hired as a lab assistant my first year.

To learn physics in general, Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt would be a good start. It doesn't require much knowledge of mathematics, and when I read it when I was 13, it was rather comprehensible. The older the edition, the better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321052021/?tag=pfamazon01-20

As for learning Astronomy, eri suggested the best option. Its great to join a local club because that gives you a ton of experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
ArtofProblemSolving and EPGY have math classes. Take the placement test (AoPS has those) and take the corresponding course! It's most probably going to be harder than what you'll do in high school but will turn out to be useful, in my opinion.

Another book (besides "Basic Mathematics") you can look into, which was recommended to me by Mathwonk, is "Elements of Algebra" by Euler. It's available for free - and legally so - on Google Books. It looks like a really nice book.

1. What is the best way to start learning physics and astronomy at 14 years old?

The best way to start learning physics and astronomy at 14 years old is to first develop a strong foundation in math and science. This will provide you with the necessary tools and skills to understand complex concepts in physics and astronomy. You can also start by reading popular science books, watching educational videos, and attending science camps or workshops to gain hands-on experience.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to learn physics and astronomy?

While a strong background in math is not absolutely necessary, it can greatly enhance your understanding of physics and astronomy. Many concepts in these fields involve mathematical equations and calculations, so having a good understanding of math can make the learning process easier and more enjoyable.

3. How can I make learning physics and astronomy fun and engaging?

One way to make learning physics and astronomy fun and engaging is to incorporate hands-on activities and experiments. This can help you visualize and understand complex concepts in a more tangible way. Additionally, watching educational videos, reading popular science books, and attending science events can also make learning more enjoyable.

4. Are there any specific resources or tools that can help with learning physics and astronomy?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with learning physics and astronomy. Some examples include textbooks, online courses, educational videos, simulations, and apps. It's important to find what works best for you and utilize a combination of resources to enhance your learning experience.

5. What are some potential career options for those interested in physics and astronomy?

There are many potential career options for those interested in physics and astronomy. Some examples include becoming a physicist, astronomer, engineer, science educator, or science writer. These fields offer a wide range of opportunities for research, discovery, and innovation, and can lead to fulfilling and exciting careers.