How to determine whether a line lies in / is parallel to / intersects a plane?

In summary, the position vectors of points A and B are given as (i+j+3k) and (4i-2j+5k) respectively, and the equation of plane π is x+2y-z=10. It is shown that neither point A nor point B lies on the plane by substituting their coordinates into the plane equation. However, it is not determined whether the line formed by these two points is parallel to the plane or intersects it.
NeroGoh
Referred to the orgin O,the positon vectors of the point A and B are (i+j+3k) and ( 4i-2j+5k) respectively.The equation of the plane π is x+2y-z=10.
Show that the point A and B do not lie on the plane.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NeroGoh said:
Referred to the orgin O,the positon vectors of the point A and B are (i+j+3k) and ( 4i-2j+5k) respectively.The equation of the plane π is x+2y-z=10.
Show that the point A and B do not lie on the plane.

What you are saying to show here does not match the problem statement in your title.

To determine if line l lies in plane P, replace x, y, and z in the equation of the plane with their expressions in terms of some parameter. That will give a single linear equation for that parameter. If the equation is satisfied by a single value of the parameter, the line intersects the plane and that value of the parameter gives the point of intersection. If NO value of the parameter satisfies the equation, the line is parallel to the plane. If the equation is satisfied for every member of the parameter, the line lies in the plane.

As for the problem you actually posted, if the position vector of a point is Ai+ Bj+ Ck, then the point is (x, y, z)= (A, B, C). Put those into the equation. If it is satisfied then the point lies in the plane. If not, the point is not in the plane.

Last edited by a moderator:
my solution don't know whether correct or wrong help me if wrong... ty ^^

i take the plane,
x+2y-z=10 => x+2y-z-10=0.

and then i take the point A and B put in the plane equation...
A(1,1,3): x+2y-z-10=0
1+2(1)-3-10=0
-10≠0
*point A do not lie on the plane

B(4,-2,5): x+2y-z-10=0
4+2(-2)-5-10=0
-15≠0
*pont B do not lie on the plane

izzit correct? /.\

Yes, that is correct.

NeroGoh said:
my solution don't know whether correct or wrong help me if wrong... ty ^^

i take the plane,
x+2y-z=10 => x+2y-z-10=0.

and then i take the point A and B put in the plane equation...
A(1,1,3): x+2y-z-10=0
1+2(1)-3-10=0
-10≠0
*point A do not lie on the plane

B(4,-2,5): x+2y-z-10=0
4+2(-2)-5-10=0
-15≠0
*pont B do not lie on the plane

izzit correct? /.\

But, of course, you haven't determined whether the line is parallel to the plane or intersects the plane which, according to the title, is what you were asked to determine. Or is that not what you were trying to do?

1. How do you determine if a line lies in a plane?

To determine if a line lies in a plane, you can use the slope-intercept form of the line and the equation of the plane. Substitute the values for the line's slope and y-intercept into the equation of the plane. If the resulting equation is true, then the line lies in the plane.

2. What is the formula for determining if a line is parallel to a plane?

The formula for determining if a line is parallel to a plane is to find the dot product between the line's direction vector and the plane's normal vector. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the line is parallel to the plane.

3. How can you tell if a line intersects a plane?

A line intersects a plane if it has at least one point in common with the plane. To determine this, you can solve the system of equations formed by the line's equation and the equation of the plane. If the system has a solution, then the line intersects the plane.

4. Can a line lie in more than one plane?

Yes, a line can lie in an infinite number of planes. This is because a line has infinite points and each point can be used to define a different plane.

5. Is it possible for a line to be both parallel and intersect a plane?

No, it is not possible for a line to be both parallel and intersect a plane. If a line is parallel to a plane, it means that it never intersects the plane. If a line intersects a plane, it means that it is not parallel to the plane.