Line parallel to plane with real parameters

In summary: Yes, but you do not need to find the angle. You just have to figure out if the vectors are orthogonal (i.e., if the angle is 90 degrees or not). You can do this by ...Scalar product? ##\vec v_r * \vec n_{\pi} = v_r n_{\pi} cos\theta##Because if they are orthogonal, the scalar product should be ##0##.
Kernul

Homework Statement

Find for what real parameters the line ##r## is parallel to the plane ##\pi##.
##r: \begin{cases}
x - 3y + 3 = 0 \\
2y + z - 5 = 0
\end{cases}##
##\pi : 6x - (a - 1)y + 3az - 11 = 0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the only method I know is to put the three equations in a matrix, find the determinant, and see for what ##a## the determinant becomes ##0##.
##\begin{vmatrix}
6 & -(a - 1) & 3a & -11 \\
1 & -3 & 0 & 3 \\
0 & 2 & 1 & -5
\end{vmatrix}##
And I end up with ##a = \frac{5}{4}##.
But, since I'm not sure about my method, does anybody know how to proceed in these cases where the exercise involves real parameters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Determinants are only defined for square matrices. It is therefore unclear what you are doing.

Hint: Do the constants in the equations play any role in determining the directions?

Sorry, I didn't explain all.
I'm actually trying to find out the rank. I'll find a square submatrix and do the determinant. If the determinant is different than ##0## then the matrix has the rank equal to the number of rows of the submatrix. If the determinant is equal to ##0## then the rank is smaller than the number of rows of the submatrix. In this case I go and take a submatrix that has one row and one column less than the previous one and to the same thing as before.

Orodruin said:
Hint: Do the constants in the equations play any role in determining the directions?
Yes, I already have the directions of both the line and the plane.
##\vec v_r = (- 3, - 1, 2)##
##\vec n_{\pi} = (6, - a + 1, 3a)##
But I don't know what I could do with these two.

Kernul said:
Yes, I already have the directions of both the line and the plane.
##\vec v_r = (- 3, - 1, 2)##
##\vec n_{\pi} = (6, - a + 1, 3a)##
But I don't know what I could do with these two.
So what must be true for these vectors in order for the line to be parallel to the plane?

Orodruin said:
So what must be true for these vectors in order for the line to be parallel to the plane?
They need to have the same direction. They must be linearly dependent?

Kernul said:
They need to have the same direction. They must be linearly dependent?

Is the plane normal vector parallel to the plane?

Orodruin said:
Is the plane normal vector parallel to the plane?
No, it's orthogonal to it.

Kernul said:
No, it's orthogonal to it.
And therefore a line is parallel to the plane if ...

If it's orthogonal to it. Does that mean I have to find out the angle between the two and see if the ##cos\theta = 0##?

Kernul said:
If it's orthogonal to it. Does that mean I have to find out the angle between the two and see if the ##cos\theta = 0##?
Yes, but you do not need to find the angle. You just have to figure out if the vectors are orthogonal (i.e., if the angle is 90 degrees or not). You can do this by ...

Scalar product? ##\vec v_r * \vec n_{\pi} = v_r n_{\pi} cos\theta##
Because if they are orthogonal, the scalar product should be ##0##.

Right

I have ##6(-3) + (-1)(-a + 1) + 3a(2) = -18 + a - 1 + 6a = -19 + 7a = 0## cioè ##a = \frac{19}{7}##. Correct?

1. What does it mean for a line to be parallel to a plane?

When we say a line is parallel to a plane, it means that the line lies in the same plane as the given plane and never intersects or touches the plane at any point.

2. How can I determine if a line is parallel to a given plane?

To determine if a line is parallel to a plane, we can use the slope of the line and the normal vector of the plane. If the slope of the line is equal to the dot product of the normal vector with any vector parallel to the line, then the line is parallel to the plane.

3. Can a line be parallel to more than one plane?

Yes, a line can be parallel to more than one plane. This occurs when the line lies in the intersection of multiple planes or when the planes are parallel to each other.

4. What are real parameters in the context of a line parallel to a plane?

Real parameters refer to the numerical values that represent the coordinates of a point on the line. In the context of a line parallel to a plane, real parameters are used to find the equation of the line and determine its position relative to the plane.

5. How are lines parallel to planes used in real life?

Lines parallel to planes are used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, in construction, parallel lines are used to create frames and build structures that are level and stable. In physics, parallel lines can represent the path of motion for objects moving in a straight line with constant speed.