How I can use a vertical bar to represent evaluation in LaTeX

In summary: LaTeX using a vertical bar as follows:\left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(t) In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a vertical bar to represent evaluation in LaTeX. Different options, such as \left|, \right|, and \vert, are explored, but the preferred method is shown to be \left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(t). The use of \bigg| and \xstrut to manually adjust the size of the vertical line is also mentioned. Finally, a specific example of \mathbf{M \bigg|_{x^k} \Delta x^
Kreizhn
Hey guys. This might not be the right place for this, but any ideas on how I can use a vertical bar to represent evaluation in LaTeX?

Example

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{d}{dt} |_{t=0} f(t) [/tex]

I would like the vertical bar to be the size of the differential. I've tried using \left|, \right|, \vert, etc. but nothing seems to work. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kreizhn,

Is this it?

[tex]\left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(t)[/tex]

which is given by

\left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(t)

Using either \left or \right on a period means the automatic delimiter sizing takes place, but only one delimiter is shown.

Excellent, thank you

\frac{d}{dt} \bigg|_{t=0} f(t) achieves a similar effect
with manual sizing (by using two g's) and the unneeded \left. tag.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \bigg|_{t=0} f(t)[/tex]

I'm using lyx and I'm having difficulty trying to find the code for this vertical line. Any suggestions? I use the | but it's extremely small.

Maybe try \|?

The height of the vertical line will be determined by the {stuff} in between the \left. {stuff} \right|. If it's not naturally big, you may want to add an "invisible tower." My invisible tower is called \xstrut, and is defined as follows

\newlength{\myVSpace}% the height of the box
\setlength{\myVSpace}{3ex}% the default,
\newcommand\xstrut{\raisebox{-.5\myVSpace}% symmetric behaviour,
{\rule{0pt}{\myVSpace}}%
}
To change the height of the box, change

\setlength{\myVSpace}{Your number here}

\mathbf{M \bigg|_{x^k} \Delta x^k = -f(x^k)}
[tex]
\mathbf{M \bigg|_{x^k} \Delta x^k = -f(x^k)}[/tex]

1. How do I insert a vertical bar in LaTeX?

To insert a vertical bar in LaTeX, you can use the symbol "|" or "\vert" in your code. This will create a vertical bar in your document.

2. How can I use a vertical bar to represent evaluation in mathematical equations?

A vertical bar can be used in mathematical equations to represent evaluation or the absolute value of a number. For example, if you want to evaluate the expression "x + 5" when x = 3, you can write it as "x + 5 | x = 3".

3. Can I change the size of the vertical bar in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the size of the vertical bar in LaTeX by using the \left and \right commands before the bar. For example, \left| x \right| will produce a larger vertical bar around the variable x.

4. Are there any other uses for a vertical bar in LaTeX?

Yes, a vertical bar can also be used to indicate set notation or absolute value in LaTeX. It can also be used as a delimiter for matrices or determinants in mathematical equations.

5. How can I learn more about using vertical bars in LaTeX?

There are many resources available online that can help you learn more about using vertical bars in LaTeX. You can also refer to the LaTeX documentation for a comprehensive guide on mathematical symbols and notation.