Linear Indepdant or not? the Wronskin = 0, so whats going on

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the discussion revolved around determining whether pairs of functions are linearly independent or not. The method used involved putting the equations into the form of y1y2' - y1'y2 and checking if the result is equal to 0 or not. If it is 0, then the functions are linearly dependent, and if it is not 0, then the functions are linearly independent. The confusion arose in question 2 because |x| is not the same as x, and there was also a discussion about plugging in 0 for t, which is not necessary. The summary also includes the explanation that the derivative of |x|^3 is not the same as the derivative of x^3.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong here? The question says:
Determine which of the following pairs of functions are linearly independent.

1. f(x) = x^2\quad, g(x) = 4|x|^2

2. f(x) = x^3\quad , g(x)=|x|^3

3. http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/24/4509f1c45a8fe2f376f4b191d2975d1.png

4. f(t) = 2t^2+14t, g(t)=2t^2-14t

Here is my work:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9587/lastscan4zm.jpg Once i put it in the form of y1y2'-y1'y2, i would plug in 0 for t, and if th4e answer was != 0, I thought it was L.I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which question specifically are you confused on? I see you have a problem with #2 since |x| is not the same as x. Also what is this with plugging in 0 for t? You don't do that.

so taking the derivative of |x|^3 isn't t he same as x^3?
Once you put the equations into y1y2'-y1'y2 What do you to to determine if they are linearly indepdant or not?

if y1y2' - y1'y2 is 0, then the functions are L.D. Otherwise the functions are L.I.

The two functions are L.I. if one is a multiple of the other, that is if y1/y2 = k where k is a constant (or if y2/y1). Differentiating both sides and multiplying through by y2^2 gives you y1y2' - y1'y2 = 0 since the derivative of a constant is 0.

In summary if y1y2' - y1'y2 = 0, then either y1/y2 or y2/y1 is a constant and the functions are l.d., and if y1y2' - y1'y2 != 0, then y1/y2 is not a constant and the functions are l.i.

Yes, the derivative of |x|^3 is not the same as the derivative of x^3. If x > 0 then |x|^3 = x^3, but if x < 0 then |x|^3 = -(x^3).

thank u for the explanation!

1. What is the concept of linear independence?

Linear independence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra that refers to the relationship between vectors in a vector space. It states that a set of vectors is linearly independent if none of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or not?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination to reduce the set of vectors to row-echelon form. If the resulting matrix has a row of zeros, then the vectors are linearly dependent. If there are no rows of zeros, then the vectors are linearly independent.

3. What is the significance of the Wronskian in determining linear independence?

The Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine if a set of functions is linearly independent. It is defined as the determinant of a matrix formed by taking the derivatives of the functions. If the Wronskian is non-zero, then the functions are linearly independent. If the Wronskian is zero, then the functions are linearly dependent.

4. What does it mean if the Wronskian is equal to zero?

If the Wronskian is equal to zero, it means that the set of functions is linearly dependent. This means that one or more of the functions can be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions in the set. In other words, the functions are not truly independent and can be reduced to a smaller set of independent functions.

5. What should I do if the Wronskian is equal to zero?

If the Wronskian is equal to zero, you should check the functions for any patterns or relationships that would indicate that they are linearly dependent. You can also try to find a linear combination of the functions that equals zero and use that to determine which functions are dependent on each other.