Simple Linear DiffEq, not understanding the book

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a separable linear differential equation. The speaker provides their method for solving it, but the other person points out an error in their solution. They explain that the algebraic rules for the constant C cannot be ignored and provide the correct solution. The speaker is grateful for the correction and mentions their new job as a Control Systems Engineer.
Feodalherren
Homework Statement
Use separation of variables to solve the following problem for t ≥ 0
Relevant Equations
dx/dt + 2x = 20
x(0) = 3
The way I want to solve it is the way that I always want to solve separable linear diffEqs:

after some trivial algebra and an easy integral I end up with

t = (-1/2) ln (20-2x) +C

Easy enough, solve for x(t) yields

x(t) = 10 - (1/2)e^(-2t) + C

Solve for C when x(0) = 3 yields

C = -13/2

But the book does something really weird and integrates the x-side from 3 to x(t) giving them the result

ln(20-2x(t)) - ln(20-2*3) = -2t

finally yielding

x(t) = 10 - 7e^(-2t)

I've never seen it done like this. What am I doing wrong? I feel like my method ought to work and I ought to end up with the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution for [itex]x(t)[/itex] is wrong. If [tex]
t = -\tfrac12 \ln(20 - 2x) + C[/tex] then [tex]
\ln(20 - 2x) = 2(C - t)[/tex] and exponentiating gives [tex]
20 - 2x = e^{2C}e^{-2t}.[/tex] Try again from here.

Likes Feodalherren
Ah, of course! Thank you very much.

I vaguely remembered from my DiffEq class that you can 'play around' with C because it's just some constant. But of course you can't just ignore the algebraic rules for it, duh! Once I saw what you did with e^2C I remembered what 'play around with C' means i.e in this case it's still just some constant so call e^2C = C1 and forget about the exponents and other clutter.
I haven't seen a differential equation in quite some time but I got a new job as a Control Systems Engineer so I'm going through my textbook to try to refresh my memory on PID controllers.

Thank you!

1. What is a simple linear differential equation?

A simple linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and its derivatives. It can be written in the form of y' = f(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and f(x) is a function of x.

2. How is a simple linear differential equation different from other types of differential equations?

A simple linear differential equation is different from other types of differential equations because it only involves the first derivative of the dependent variable. Other types of differential equations, such as non-linear or higher-order differential equations, involve multiple derivatives and/or non-linear relationships between variables.

3. What is the purpose of studying simple linear differential equations?

Studying simple linear differential equations allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena, such as growth and decay processes, using mathematical equations. It also provides a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common techniques for solving simple linear differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving simple linear differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using the method of undetermined coefficients. These techniques involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then integrating to find the general solution.

5. What are some common challenges in understanding the book on simple linear differential equations?

Some common challenges in understanding the book on simple linear differential equations may include unfamiliarity with the mathematical notation and terminology, difficulty in visualizing and interpreting the equations, and the need for a strong foundation in algebra and calculus. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or clarification from a professor or tutor.