Optimizing Walkway Weight: Minimize 40x + 30y

In summary, the conversation is about designing a walkway with minimal weight between two buildings. The walkway will weigh 40 pounds per feet when parallel to the street and 30 pounds per feet when crossing the street. The discussion includes finding the right equation and taking the derivative to optimize the weight. The use of the chain rule and the Pythagorean theorem are also mentioned.
chompysj

Homework Statement

You're building a walkway from the corner of one building to the corner of another building. The diagram looks like this.
85wu1p3.jpg

The street is 100 ft wide, and 50 ft long.
The walkway will weigh 40 pounds per feet when it is parallel to the street and 30 pounds per feet when it is crossing the street.

How should the walkway be laid out to have a minimal weight?

Homework Equations

I'm going to call the horizontal portion of the walkway x ft of length, and the portion that crosses the street y ft of length. So the total length of the walkway would be x+y.
Then the equation for the total weight of the walkway would be 40x + 30y, right?
Also I'm not sure if the pythagorean theorem should come into play here.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where I'm really, really confused. I know that when you do an optimization problem , the hard part is finding the right equation. I have no idea what that is. Can someone just give me a little prod in the right direction? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x and y are not independent. You can write y in terms of x if you finally decide you do need the pythagorean theorem. The right triangle containing y has one leg of length 100-x and another of 50.

So y would be:

[tex]\sqrt{100^2 + (50-x)^2}[/tex]

Now do I take the derivative of that?

Use the chain rule. Besides, you actually want to take the derivative of 40x+30y, right?

Would the derivative be

[tex]-(50-x)^{2}[/tex]

But how would taking the derivative help me? Is it related to the 40 lb/ft and the 30 lb/ft?

You take the derivative and set it equal to zero. But your guess for the derivative is way off. The derivative of sqrt(f(x))=f'(x)/(2*sqrt(f(x)). How did I know that?

Umm, all I can tell is that you must have gotten the derivative out of

(1/2) x (y') x (y^(-1/2))

But I don't really understand how you got that. See, I'm not very good at using the Chain Rule, and what I did was just

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] x [tex]\sqrt{0 + (50-2)^{2}}^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] x (2 x (-1))

You've got a good start there but in this case y=100^2+(50-x)^2. y' isn't 2*(-1). What is it? And the denominator is sqrt(100^2+(50-x)^2), why did the the 100^2 turn to zero and the x disappear?

Last edited:
I got the ( 2 * -1) part from differentiating (50-x)^2.

The derivative of (50-x)^2 is 2*(50-x)*(-1).

Oh right!
The 100^2 turned to 0 because it is an integer and you can't differentiate it anymore. The x disappeared because it is only to the one-power.

chompysj said:
Umm, all I can tell is that you must have gotten the derivative out of

(1/2) x (y') x (y^(-1/2))

But I don't really understand how you got that. See, I'm not very good at using the Chain Rule, and what I did was just

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] x [tex]\sqrt{0 + (50-2)^{2}}^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] x (2 x (-1))

The sqrt comes from y^(-1/2). That's NOT (y')^(-1/2). You might want to review differentiation in general.

What does "Optimizing Walkway Weight: Minimize 40x + 30y" mean?

This phrase refers to a mathematical equation that is used to determine the most efficient way to distribute weight on a walkway. The numbers 40 and 30 represent the weight of different materials, and x and y represent the amount of each material used.

Why is it important to optimize walkway weight?

Optimizing walkway weight is important because it can help ensure the structural integrity and safety of the walkway. By minimizing the weight, the walkway can better support the weight of people and objects without risking collapse or damage.

How can you optimize walkway weight?

To optimize walkway weight, you can use mathematical equations, such as the one mentioned in the title, to determine the most efficient distribution of weight. You can also use various materials and designs to reduce the overall weight of the walkway.

What factors should be considered when optimizing walkway weight?

When optimizing walkway weight, factors such as the materials used, the design of the walkway, and the weight-bearing capacity of the walkway's supports should be considered. Additionally, the intended use of the walkway and the expected weight load should also be taken into account.

Are there any potential drawbacks to optimizing walkway weight?

While optimizing walkway weight can have many benefits, there are also potential drawbacks. For example, using lighter materials may make the walkway more susceptible to damage from weather or heavy use. Additionally, optimizing weight may also increase construction costs. It is important to carefully consider all factors before making decisions about optimizing walkway weight.