In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity of light through a wall at different angles when a police car siren spins at 30 revolutions per minute. Using the formula x=50tan(α) and dx/dt=50(sec2α)(dα/dt), the values for dx/dt were calculated but did not match the textbook answers. It was discovered that the value for dα/dt was missing in the formula for dx/dt, which led to incorrect results.
thegreengineer

Homework Statement

A police car is parked 50 feet away from a wall. The police car siren spins at 30 revolutions per minute. What is the velocity the light moves through the wall when the beam forms angles of: a) α= 30°, b) α=60°, and c) α=70°?

This is the diagram:
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10665816_1485403331744206_1785843909705272494_n.jpg?oh=8c58e875096c8045213bef3bff034736&oe=54BD392F
Where:
  • α is the angle the light beam makes with the siren (and it is a variable)
  • dα/dt is the angular velocity of the light beam (and it is a constant; 30 revolutions per minute)
  • x is the length of what the beam hits in the wall (it is a variable)
  • dx/dt is velocity on how much light is being struck in the wall (it is a variable, and what's we are supposed to compute with the given data)
  • Also we have the distance between the police car and the wall, which is also a constant and is 50 feet.
Ok, before going to the formulas, according to my textbook the answers should be:
  • When the angle is 30° (= 0.524 rad) the velocity is 200π/3 feet per second
  • When the angle is 60° (= 1.047 rad) the velocity is 200π feet per second
  • When the angle is 70° (= 1.222 rad) the velocity is approximately 427.43π feet per second

Homework Equations

Well, this is a calculus problem, it does not take a pre-shaped formula as in physics or chemistry. However, we are dealing with derivatives as a rate of change. I found the relationship which may lead to the problem answer:

If we consider the previous diagram the formulas are:
  • x=50tan(α) which leads to the one below
  • dx/dt=50(sec2α)(dα/dt)= 50(1/cos2α) (this is the equation I used for attempting to solve the problem)
NOTE: For getting the second equation, I used the trigonometric derivatives rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I did use the last formula; replacing with the given data we get:

For the angle of ,524 rad
dx/dt=50(1/cos2(,524))=66.69 ft/s which is not the same as 200π/3 ft/s
For the angle of 1,047 rad dx/dt=50(1/cos2(,524))=201.96 ft/s which is not the same as 200π ft/s
For the angle of 1,222 rad dx/dt=50(1/cos2(,524))=423.4 ft/s which is not the same as 427.43 ft/s

I need to see what I'm doing wrong; I've been stuck in this problem for about an hour and a half :(

Attachments

• lab2.jpeg
    lab2.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
MarcusAu314 said:

Homework Statement

A police car is parked 50 feet away from a wall. The police car siren spins at 30 revolutions per minute. What is the velocity the light moves through the wall when the beam forms angles of: a) α= 30°, b) α=60°, and c) α=70°?

This is the diagram:
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10665816_1485403331744206_1785843909705272494_n.jpg?oh=8c58e875096c8045213bef3bff034736&oe=54BD392F
Where:
  • α is the angle the light beam makes with the siren (and it is a variable)
  • dα/dt is the angular velocity of the light beam (and it is a constant; 30 revolutions per minute)
  • x is the length of what the beam hits in the wall (it is a variable)
  • dx/dt is velocity on how much light is being struck in the wall (it is a variable, and what's we are supposed to compute with the given data)
  • Also we have the distance between the police car and the wall, which is also a constant and is 50 feet.
Ok, before going to the formulas, according to my textbook the answers should be:
  • When the angle is 30° (= 0.524 rad) the velocity is 200π/3 feet per second
  • When the angle is 60° (= 1.047 rad) the velocity is 200π feet per second
  • When the angle is 70° (= 1.222 rad) the velocity is approximately 427.43π feet per second

Homework Equations

Well, this is a calculus problem, it does not take a pre-shaped formula as in physics or chemistry. However, we are dealing with derivatives as a rate of change. I found the relationship which may lead to the problem answer:

If we consider the previous diagram the formulas are:
  • x=50tan(α) which leads to the one below
  • dx/dt=50(sec2α)(dα/dt)= 50(1/cos2α) (this is the equation I used for attempting to solve the problem)
In your formula for dx/dt, it looks like you have lost dα/dt at the end.
MarcusAu314 said:
NOTE: For getting the second equation, I used the trigonometric derivatives rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I did use the last formula; replacing with the given data we get:

For the angle of ,524 rad
dx/dt=50(1/cos2(,524))=66.69 ft/s which is not the same as 200π/3 ft/s
For the angle of 1,047 rad dx/dt=50(1/cos2(,524))=201.96 ft/s which is not the same as 200π ft/s
For the angle of 1,222 rad dx/dt=50(1/cos2(,524))=423.4 ft/s which is not the same as 427.43 ft/s

I need to see what I'm doing wrong; I've been stuck in this problem for about an hour and a half :(

Likes thegreengineer
In addition to Mark44's comments, don't change everything to decimals. Use ##30^\circ = \frac \pi 6##radians and ##30##rpm##=\pi##rad/sec.

Likes thegreengineer
Thanks everyone, I checked and I got it right.

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is the rate of change of that function at a specific point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function, which is the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How is the derivative used to find the rate of change?

The derivative is used to find the rate of change by calculating the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function. This slope represents the instantaneous rate of change at that point.

3. What is the relationship between the derivative and the original function?

The derivative and the original function are closely related, as the derivative is the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the function. This means that the derivative can be used to analyze the behavior and rate of change of the original function.

4. How can derivatives be applied in real life situations?

Derivatives can be applied in a variety of real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the rate of change of a chemical reaction, or analyzing the growth rate of a population.

5. What are some common techniques for finding derivatives?

Some common techniques for finding derivatives include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Other techniques include using the limit definition of a derivative, implicit differentiation, and logarithmic differentiation.