Rate at which energy is delivered

The rate at which energy is delivered to the resistor is the same as the power of the system. This can be calculated using the formula P = Fv, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity. In summary, the conducting rod moving at a constant force of 2 N and a velocity of 2 m/s through a perpendicular magnetic field B delivers energy to the resistor at a rate equal to the power of the system.
dpeagler

Homework Statement

A conducting rod of length l moves on two horizontal, frictionless rails. If a constant force of 2 N moves the bar at 2 m/s through a magnetic field B that is directed perpendicular to the system. What is the rate at which energy is delivered to the resistor?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure perhaps (time derivative) Energy = Power?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the power for this problem, but am not really for sure about what the rate at which energy is delivered means. I am thinking that means power, but another subpart of the question asked me what the mechanical power of the system was and I figure that those two will be the same value.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dpeagler said:
I'm not sure perhaps (time derivative) Energy = Power?
That's correct.

Related to Rate at which energy is delivered

1. What is the rate at which energy is delivered?

The rate at which energy is delivered, also known as power, is the amount of energy transferred or converted per unit of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or joules per second (J/s).

2. How is the rate at which energy is delivered calculated?

The rate at which energy is delivered can be calculated by dividing the amount of energy transferred or converted by the time it takes for the transfer or conversion to occur. This can be represented by the equation P = E/t, where P is power, E is energy, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the rate at which energy is delivered?

The rate at which energy is delivered is affected by various factors such as the type of energy being transferred or converted, the efficiency of the transfer or conversion process, and the amount of resistance or obstacles in the transfer or conversion path.

4. How does the rate at which energy is delivered impact everyday life?

The rate at which energy is delivered plays a significant role in our everyday lives. It determines how quickly we can charge our electronic devices, how fast our cars can accelerate, and how much electricity our homes consume. It also affects the efficiency and effectiveness of various machines and processes.

5. Can the rate at which energy is delivered be changed?

Yes, the rate at which energy is delivered can be changed by altering the amount of energy being transferred or converted, or by modifying the efficiency of the transfer or conversion process. This can be achieved through technological advancements, improvements in design, and changes in energy sources.