Maximum rate at which energy is stored in a LR circuit

That will put the word "SOLVED" into the thread title and mark the thread as solved in the forum list.In summary, a student asks for help with finding the maximum rate at which energy is stored in a magnetic field in a series circuit with an inductor, resistance, and battery. They provide their attempt at a solution and ask for guidance. The conversation concludes with advice on how to properly present equations and close the thread.
Serotonin

Homework Statement

An Inductor L and a Resistance R are connected in series with a battery of emf E. Find the maximum rate at which the energy is stored in the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

Energy stored in an inductor : U= 1/2Li2
For a simple LR circuit with a DC voltage source the equation of current at some time t is I= Imax(1-e-Rt/L)
So plugging in the value of current in the energy stored inside an inductor equation and differentiating it with respect to time we will get the equation of Power in a simple LR circuit as a function of time.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved for the the maximum power by differentiating the Power equation once again wrt to time and equated it with zero to get the time at which the power transfer would become maximum. I once again plugged in the value of time to get the maximum power to get what is asked in the question. But unfortunately I'm getting the answer as zero which is not correct. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please show your working so that we can see what went wrong.

OK I am trying to attach the pictures but it is not working

Hey would it be inappropriate to attach pics since the solution involves a number of integrals?

Serotonin said:
OK I am trying to attach the pictures but it is not working
Try the "upload" button below.
Serotonin said:
Hey would it be inappropriate to attach pics since the solution involves a number of integrals?
It is better to type the equations instead of posting images. If you want to post the images, make sure they are clear and easy to read.

Likes Serotonin
Serotonin said:
You may attach pictures showing your work if they are clearly legible and well organized (pictures of scratch workings randomly scattered over a piece of paper with other problem's workings are obviously going to be rejected and deleted by moderators). Get into the habit of numbering all the equations in images so that helpers can reference them when discussing the work.

A much better approach is to learn to use LaTeX syntax to present your work. Then there will never be an issue with clarity and helpers can quote and comment on individual elements of the work easily. See the link: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes Serotonin
Thanks for guiding me. My problem has been solved. Actually I was making a silly mistake.
Nice to meet you.

Hey what to do when you want to close the thread?

gneill said:
You may attach pictures showing your work if they are clearly legible and well organized (pictures of scratch workings randomly scattered over a piece of paper with other problem's workings are obviously going to be rejected and deleted by moderators). Get into the habit of numbering all the equations in images so that helpers can reference them when discussing the work.

A much better approach is to learn to use LaTeX syntax to present your work. Then there will never be an issue with clarity and helpers can quote and comment on individual elements of the work easily. See the link: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Thanks mate!

Serotonin said:
Hey what to do when you want to close the thread?
There's nothing you need to do to close it; we generally don't close threads unless there's an extraordinary reason.

You may click the "MARK SOLVED" button at the top right of the thread if you wish to indicate that you're satisfied with the results of the discussion.

Likes Serotonin

1. What is a LR circuit?

A LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains an inductor (L) and a resistor (R). It is used to store and release energy in the form of an electrical current.

2. How is maximum energy storage rate calculated in a LR circuit?

The maximum energy storage rate in a LR circuit is calculated by dividing the maximum energy stored in the inductor by the time it takes for the energy to be completely transferred to the inductor.

3. How does the inductance affect the maximum energy storage rate in a LR circuit?

The inductance of the inductor directly affects the maximum energy storage rate in a LR circuit. A higher inductance means a higher maximum energy storage rate, while a lower inductance means a lower maximum energy storage rate.

4. What factors can impact the maximum energy storage rate in a LR circuit?

The maximum energy storage rate in a LR circuit can be impacted by the inductance of the inductor, the resistance of the resistor, and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the circuit.

5. How is the maximum energy storage rate related to the oscillation frequency in a LR circuit?

The maximum energy storage rate and the oscillation frequency in a LR circuit are inversely proportional. This means that as the oscillation frequency increases, the maximum energy storage rate decreases, and vice versa.