Good heat but poor electrical conductor

In summary, using thermal paste is a suitable solution for dissipating heat from a specific electronic component to the frame of the system.
gdylp2004
Hi folks,

I am an electrical electronics student and hence you may find the question below ridiculously easy but please bear with me and I hope you could advise me.

I am currently doing a project and need to dissipiate heat away from a specific electronic component to the frame of the system, in my case, the frame would be the electronic board and the stands for the board.

More importantly, I think the 4 cylindical stands is a good place to get the heat off to the surrounding since it is 1) a metal 2) a good surface area with adequate space apart from each stand.

My first thought would be using a flexible tube or something which is good in bending and carry the heat away from the heat source to the stands. But this material has to be an electrical insulator BECAUSE the frame could not get potentially energised to 100V, yes, the heat source unfortunately has a potential difference (w.r.t. GND) of +100V.

I've considered epoxy or some thermal gel, but the problem is these doesn't have the physical property I desired because I can't just simply apply the gel across the heat source to the stands as it'll be to messy since it looks pretty much like a liquid.

So does anyone has a clue which material is good for me to use?

Probably, something which has:

1) Good heat carrying property
2) Extremely poor electrical conductor (or good elect insulator)
3) well-definable shape (definitely not liquid, or gel-like substance)

Please see attached for the placement of the heat medium.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• full_front_heat_transfer.jpg
    full_front_heat_transfer.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 451
  • stipboard_structure.jpg
    stipboard_structure.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 518
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cheers. </code>I suggest using a thermal paste or thermal compound to transfer the heat from the heat source to the stands. Thermal paste is a relatively inexpensive and reliable way to dissipate heat from one component to another. It is also non-conductive, so it will ensure that the frame will not become energized with a potential difference of 100V. Additionally, thermal paste is relatively easy to apply and is available in a variety of shapes and sizes.

What does it mean for a material to have good heat but poor electrical conductivity?

Good heat but poor electrical conductivity means that the material is able to transfer heat efficiently, but not electricity. This is due to the arrangement of free electrons in the material.

What are some examples of materials that have good heat but poor electrical conductivity?

Some examples include rubber, wood, glass, and most ceramics. These materials have high thermal conductivity but low electrical conductivity due to their molecular structures.

Why are materials with good heat but poor electrical conductivity useful?

These materials are useful in applications where heat needs to be transferred without the risk of electrical conduction. For example, in insulating materials used for electrical wiring or in cookware where heat needs to be evenly distributed without causing electric shocks.

How do scientists measure the heat and electrical conductivity of a material?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be measured using a thermal conductivity meter, which measures the rate at which heat is transferred through the material. The electrical conductivity of a material can be measured using a four-point probe, which measures the resistance of the material to an electrical current.

Can a material have good heat and electrical conductivity at the same time?

Yes, some materials, such as metals, have both good heat and electrical conductivity. This is due to their atomic structure, which allows for the easy flow of both heat and electricity through the material.