IO3− - 5 Regions of Electron Density, 6 Bonded Electrons

In summary, the molecular geometry of IO3− is trigonal pyramidal, with the central iodine atom surrounded by three oxygen atoms and one lone pair of electrons. IO3− has five regions of electron density, including three bonds and two lone pairs of electrons. There are six bonded electrons in IO3−, and the central iodine atom has sp3 hybridization. The overall charge of IO3− is -1, as it has one more electron than protons.
ace123
[SOLVED] electron density

I think this is the topic if not then I apologize.

IO3− Has how many regions of high electron density and how many bonded electrons?

I got 5 regions of electron density and 6 bonded electrons. Is this correct? I could use some help or any advice for this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
um yea I am sorry for my question I didn't consider the formal charges

Yes, your answer is correct. IO3− has 5 regions of high electron density and 6 bonded electrons. This means that there are 5 regions where there is a high probability of finding electrons around the central iodine atom, and there are 6 electrons involved in covalent bonds between the iodine and oxygen atoms. This information is important in understanding the molecular structure and chemical properties of IO3−. I would recommend looking into the VSEPR theory to further understand the relationship between electron density and molecular geometry.

1. What is the molecular geometry of IO3−?

The molecular geometry of IO3− is trigonal pyramidal. This means that the central iodine atom is surrounded by three oxygen atoms, with one lone pair of electrons on the central iodine.

2. How many regions of electron density does IO3− have?

IO3− has five regions of electron density. This includes the three bonds between the central iodine atom and the three oxygen atoms, as well as the two lone pairs of electrons on the central iodine.

3. How many bonded electrons are in IO3−?

There are six bonded electrons in IO3−. This includes the three bonds between the central iodine atom and the three oxygen atoms, each with two electrons.

4. What is the hybridization of the central iodine atom in IO3−?

The central iodine atom in IO3− has sp3 hybridization. This means that the central iodine atom has four electron orbitals, with three of them participating in bonding with the oxygen atoms and one containing the lone pair of electrons.

5. What is the overall charge of IO3−?

IO3− has a charge of -1. This is due to the fact that the molecule has one more electron than protons, giving it an overall negative charge.