Fluid properties of a diesel exhaust

In summary, the individual is asking for information on the fluid properties, specifically kinematic viscosity, of combustion exhaust from a diesel generator. They are designing an exhaust system and need to calculate fluid flows, but are unsure of the exact chemical makeup of the diesel fuel. They suggest using the properties of the largest constituent, such as CO or N2, assuming it is the predominant gas in the exhaust. They also mention that CO2 is likely the main exhaust gas.
Anori
Hello,

Anyone know where I can get fluid properties (specifically kinematic viscosity) of the combustion exhaust form a diesel generator (i am designing an exhaust system and I need to calculate fluid flows). I am not sure the exact chemical makeup of the diesel fuel. An estimation would be fine.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ok, can I do it like this..

diesel is a hydrocarbon...can I just base the fluid properties of the largest constituent? That is, assume the exhaust is 100% of the predominant gas since Its easier to find properties of specific gases at higher temperatures, let's say CO or N2?

CO2 is probably the predominant exhaust gas

Related to Fluid properties of a diesel exhaust

1. What are the main components of diesel exhaust?

The main components of diesel exhaust are nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, water vapor, and various pollutants such as carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and particulate matter.

2. How does the temperature of the exhaust affect its fluid properties?

The temperature of the exhaust greatly affects its fluid properties. As the temperature increases, the exhaust becomes less dense and more viscous. This can impact its flow rate and ability to mix with surrounding air.

3. What is the role of sulfur in diesel exhaust?

Sulfur is present in diesel fuel and is converted to sulfur dioxide during combustion. This compound can contribute to acid rain and also affects the acidity of the exhaust, which can impact its chemical reactions and interactions with the atmosphere.

4. What is the impact of diesel exhaust on air quality?

Diesel exhaust contains various pollutants that can have negative effects on air quality. These pollutants can contribute to smog, acid rain, and respiratory problems in humans and animals.

5. How do manufacturers reduce the emissions from diesel exhaust?

Manufacturers use various techniques to reduce the emissions from diesel exhaust, such as using diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation systems, and selective catalytic reduction systems. These technologies help to trap and convert pollutants into less harmful compounds before they are released into the atmosphere.