Distance Traveled Homework: Solve Problem w/ 15° & 100mph

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a golf ball being struck at a 15 degree angle and traveling at a speed of 100mph. The relevant formulas for solving this problem are d = vt for horizontal motion and v = vo + at and d = vot + .5at^2 for vertical motion. It is important to split the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry.
jaglavek

Homework Statement

Not sure where to start, but I've read through many posts trying to figure out which formulas I need to use to solve for the following problem. I'm trying to build a simple golf game that calculates the distance traveled, for example:

What is the distance a golf ball travels when it is struck with a golf club that has a 15 degree angle at a speed of 100mph.

Homework Equations

d = v * t

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea where to begin. Is my relevant formula even relevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Much depends on the nature of the golf ball and the precise way in which it is struck.
You CAN solve for the distance traveled if you know the initial speed and angle of the golf ball after it is hit. This is a 2 - dimensional problem where the horizontal motion is uniform (d = vt) and the vertical motion is accelerated (more complex formulas).

usually when doing problems like this, the easiest way for me is to write out two columns of kinematic variables (for x and y) so I would have something that looks like
X
d=
a=
t=
v initial=
v final=
v average=

(and the same set up for motion in the y)

fill in the variables you know and use equations to find the rest. some of the variables are always the same, keep that in mind. from there you can answer anything you're being asked. I hope this kinda helps?

Last edited:
All these trajectory problems are solved by making two headings for the two kinds of motion going on, and then writing three formulas:

Horizontal motion
d = vt

Vertical Motion
v = vo + at, d = vot + .5at^2

The initial velocity of the ball must be split into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry. The v in the first formula is the horizontal component. The vo in the others is the vertical component.

Great! Thank you

1. What is the formula for calculating distance traveled?

The formula for calculating distance traveled is distance = speed x time. In this case, the speed is given as 100mph and the time is unknown.

2. How do you find the time in the formula?

To find the time in the formula, you can use the formula time = distance / speed. In this problem, the distance is unknown and the speed is given as 100mph.

3. What is the unit of measurement for distance traveled?

The unit of measurement for distance traveled is typically in miles or kilometers, depending on the unit used for speed. In this problem, since the speed is given in mph, the distance will be in miles.

4. Can you use the same formula for different angles?

No, the formula for calculating distance traveled only applies when the object is moving in a straight line. If the angle changes, the distance traveled will also change and a different formula would need to be used.

5. Is the speed of 100mph constant throughout the entire distance traveled?

It depends on the scenario. If the object is moving at a constant speed of 100mph, then the speed would remain constant throughout the entire distance traveled. However, if the speed changes at any point, the distance traveled would also change and a different formula would need to be used to calculate it.