Choosing a Major in the Physical Sciences: Is Geophysics Right for Me?

• Thread starter Databank
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geophysics
In summary, the individual is currently a first-year student at UC Berkeley and is looking to decide on a major early on to avoid having to spend extra semesters later on. They have decided on pursuing a science-related field and have narrowed down their options to geology, geophysics, atmospheric science, and planetary science. They are also considering a double major with environmental engineering. They are seeking advice and experiences from others who have chosen these majors.
Databank
I'm at uc berkeley atm in my first year. I want to decide on a major early on and stick with it so that I won't end up having to spend an extra semester or two later on down the road.

I definitely want to major in a science-related field. I had thought about engineering, but it's complicated since I'm not in the college of engineering. So that leaves the physical sciences. I'm not into biology at all, so that narrows it down to these majors:

-geology
-geophysics
-atmospheric science
-planetary science

All of them are hard core science majors and have a lot of science pre-reqs. I had never even considered geology as a major until a couple months ago, until then I was thinking about mechanical engineering (haha.. yea).

Has anyone had any experience with this major or any of those listed above? I'm interested in majoring in one of those and maybe a double major with environmental engineering if it suits my fancy.

Physics news on Phys.org
bumping for good measure

Well, it's not a race. Make sure you pick a major you really enjoy.

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is a branch of Earth science that deals with the physical properties and processes of the Earth, including its structure, composition, and dynamics. It involves the study of the Earth's interior, oceans, atmosphere, and magnetic and gravitational fields.

2. What kind of skills do I need to have to pursue a career in geophysics?

To be successful in geophysics, you should have a strong foundation in math, physics, and geology. Additionally, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and computer skills are necessary to analyze and interpret data.

3. What are some potential career paths in geophysics?

Geophysicists can work in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, mining, environmental consulting, and academia. Some common job titles in this field include exploration geophysicist, seismic interpreter, and geophysical data analyst.

4. Is geophysics a rapidly growing field?

Yes, geophysics is a rapidly growing field, as it plays a crucial role in discovering and extracting natural resources, managing environmental risks, and understanding natural hazards. With the advancement of technology, the demand for geophysicists is expected to increase in the coming years.

5. What are some challenges that geophysicists face in their work?

Geophysicists often face challenges such as working in remote and harsh environments, collecting and interpreting complex data, and dealing with uncertainties in their findings. They also have to keep up with advancements in technology and adapt to changing industry demands.