Incandescent Light Double Slit Experiment -Will Interference Occur?

• Thread starter josephcollins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the question posed is whether the interference phenomenon can be observed in a double slit experiment using two incandescent lamps. The answer is no, due to the constantly changing direction of the field and the need for the relative phase to be the same. Additionally, the fact that light from an incandescent lamp is not monochromatic would make any potential interference patterns invisible.
josephcollins
hi ppl,
I was wondering. In a double slit experiment, we fire light rays through two slits using two incandescent lamps. Would the interference phenomenon be observed? I thought no, is it to do with the wavelength of incandescent light being outside the spectrum? Could someone help with this problem, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It would hard to get an interference pattern because the direction of the field would be changing constantly. The relative phase must be same hence it only works with 1 lamp.

As far as I know its nothing to do with the wavelength, just the fact that the field is not polarised.

Well, there's also the fact that light from an incandescent lamp is not monochromatic. You might get interference patterns from various different frequencies, but I expect they'd overlap to such an extent that they'd be invisible.

1. What is the purpose of the incandescent light double slit experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the phenomenon of interference, where light waves interfere with each other to create a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

2. How does the setup of the double slit experiment affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the two slits, the distance between the slits and the screen, and the wavelength of the light used all play a role in determining the interference pattern.

3. What type of light source is used in this experiment?

As the name suggests, this experiment uses an incandescent light source, which emits white light containing a range of different wavelengths.

4. How does the interference pattern change if the experiment is conducted with a monochromatic light source?

Monochromatic light, which contains only one wavelength, will produce a more distinct and evenly spaced interference pattern compared to white light.

5. Is the interference pattern consistent every time the experiment is conducted?

No, there may be slight variations in the interference pattern each time the experiment is conducted due to factors such as imperfections in the slits or inconsistencies in the light source.