Find an equation in standard form for the conic. Calculus II

In summary: Once you have a, b, and c, you can use the standard form of the equation, (x^2/a^2)+ (y^2/b^2)= 1 to write the equation. For the hyperbola, I would start with the standard form, (x^2/a^2)- (y^2/b^2)= 1. You have been given the vertices so you can find a. You are given the slope of the asymptote so you can find b. You are given the center. You should be able to find c. Then use the formula (x^2/a^2)- (y^2/b^2)= 1 to write the equation
StudentofSci

Homework Statement

Find an equation in standard form for the conic ,
a)Ellipse: vertices (0,0) & (0,8), foci (0,2) & (0,6).
b) hyperbola: vertices (-3,0) & (3,0), asymptotes y= ±2x

Homework Equations

Ellipse: (x-h)^2/b^2+(y-k)^2/a^2=1, vertices ± a from center, foci ± c from center, c^2=a^2-b^2, a<b, ceneter = (h,k)
Hyperbola: (x-h)^2/a^2-(y-k)^2/b^2=1, vertices ± a from center, foci ± c from center, c^2=a^2+b^2, ceneter = (h,k), asymptotes= k±b/a(x-h)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) foci are ±c from center, the foci are (0,2) & (0,6) thus h must = 0, c must= 2, c^2=4, and k= 4
I know c, and the center (0,4)
vertices are ± a from the center thus if the center is (0,4) when vertices are ( 0,0) & (0,8), a must= 4 and a^2=16
since I know have a^2 and c^2 I can solve for b^2
4=16-b^2, b^2=12
I can now solve the problem and write the equation in the form of (x-h)^2/b^2+(y-k)^2/a^2=1.
x^2/16+(y-4)^2/16=1
End part A

b)
vertices are ± a from center @ (±3,0) thus the center is (0,0) h=0, k=0 and a=3 and a^2=9
asymptotes are in the form of k±b/a(x-h) thus 0 ± b/3(x-0)= ±2x, b must =6 b^2=36
I can now write the equation in the form of (x-h)^2/a^2-(y-k)^2/b^2=1 as:
x^2/9-y^2/36=1

End part B

That is all my work/solutions for this problem.
Any help with what I may have done wrong and how to learn how to correct is, or even just saying "correct" is appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming an ellipse is set up with foci on the x-axis, we can take them to be at (c, 0) and (-c, 0). We can take the vertices on the major axis to be at (a, 0) and (-a, 0). The distance from the focus (-c, 0) to (a, 0) is a-(-c)= a+ c and the distance from that vertex to the other focus, (c, 0) is a- c. That is, the total distance from focus to vertex to other vertex, along the major axis, is a+ c+ a- c= 2a.

The distance from the focus (c, 0) to the vertex on the minor axis, (0, b) is [itex]\sqrt{b^2+ c^2}[/itex]. The distance from (0, b) to (-c, 0) is also [itex]\sqrt{b^2+ c^2}[/itex] so the distance form focus to vertex to the other vertex, on the minor axis is [itex]2\sqrt{b^2+ c^2}[/itex].

Now, a defining property of an ellipse is that the distance from one focus, to any point on the ellipse, back to the other vertex is a constant. Therefore, we must have [itex]2\sqrt{b^2+ c^2}= 2a[/itex] so, dividing both sides by 2 and squaring both sides, [itex]b^2+ c^2= a^2[/itex]. I would be surprised if you were not given that formula in you class or textbook.

You are given a and c so you can use that to find b.

1. What is a conic?

A conic is a type of curve that is formed when a plane intersects with a double-napped cone. It includes shapes such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. What is standard form for a conic equation?

Standard form for a conic equation is an algebraic expression that represents the shape of a conic. It is written in the form Ax² + Bxy + Cy² + Dx + Ey + F = 0, where A, B, and C are coefficients and x and y are variables.

3. How do you find the equation of a conic in standard form?

To find the equation of a conic in standard form, you need to know certain properties of the conic, such as its center, vertices, and foci. Then, you can use specific formulas and techniques for each type of conic to write the equation in standard form.

4. What is the difference between a conic in standard form and general form?

The main difference between a conic in standard form and general form is the arrangement of the terms in the equation. In standard form, all the terms are on one side of the equation and are arranged in a specific order, while in general form, the terms can be on either side and in any order.

5. Why is it important to find the equation of a conic in standard form?

Finding the equation of a conic in standard form allows us to easily identify its properties and graph it accurately. It also makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving the conic, such as finding its intercepts, symmetry, and asymptotes.