Removing Drive H on Windows 7 - Phantom Drive

• Thread starter PaulS1950
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the individual is experiencing difficulty removing a phantom drive labeled "H" from their computer, which may have been caused by improperly disconnecting a USB device. They have attempted to remove the drive using various methods, including the registry editor, but the drive continues to reappear. It is believed that the phantom drive is associated with a Kodak printer that also functions as a flash drive. The individual plans to disconnect the printer in order to remove both drives and then reinstall the printer.
PaulS1950
"Phantom Drive" "H"

I believe I may have removed a thumb drive or maybe a USB hard disk drive without unmounting it. I have a drive "H" that I can't get rid of.
I am running Win 7, intel quad core.
Is there any way to "remove" the drive?

Paul

Computer science news on Phys.org
This may apply: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/82994-drive-letter-add-change-remove-windows-7-a.html

(Disclaimer: it's been a long time since I've seriously used Windows.)

Try opening Windows explorer, right-click the drive letter that shouldn't be there, and select "eject".

Or you could try re-connecting the USB drive and disconnecting it properly.

If Windows has somehow decided H: is a permanently mounted drive, that won't work, so try the solution in #2.

I have tried right clicking and ejecting the drive but it doesn't work.
When I put the thumb drive in it assigns a new drive letter to it.
I will try the manual renoval in registry editor.

Thanks,
Paul

Ok, I deleted it in regedit and it disappeared from the registry until I logged back on.
I did it again and then restarted the computer but it came back.
I did find out it was formed when my wife disconnected our Kodak printer to upgrade the drivers on her laptop. I hav another drive associated with the printer now and drive H is just a persistany name.

I am thinking I will have to disconnect the printer to remove both drives and then reinstall the printer.
The Kodak printer has a flash drive in it so it connects as a drive on the computer as well as a printer/scanner.

Thanks,
Paul

1. What is a "phantom drive" on Windows 7?

A "phantom drive" on Windows 7 refers to a virtual or non-existent drive that appears in the list of drives but cannot be accessed or removed through conventional methods.

2. How does a "phantom drive" occur on Windows 7?

A "phantom drive" can occur on Windows 7 due to various reasons such as incomplete software installations, corrupted system files, or registry errors.

3. Can a "phantom drive" be harmful to my computer?

No, a "phantom drive" is not harmful to your computer as it is not a physical drive. However, it can take up space in your drive list and cause confusion.

4. How can I remove a "phantom drive" on Windows 7?

To remove a "phantom drive" on Windows 7, you can try using disk management tools or third-party software specifically designed to remove virtual drives. You can also try editing the registry, but this should only be done by experienced users as it can cause system errors if done incorrectly.

5. Is there any way to prevent "phantom drives" from occurring on Windows 7?

To prevent "phantom drives" from occurring on Windows 7, it is important to regularly update your system and software, and properly uninstall any programs that you no longer use. It is also recommended to use reputable software and avoid downloading from unknown sources.