System of Differential Equations

In summary: Next, you can subtract y(t) from both sides of the first equation to get x(t)+y(t)=t-y(t). Finally, simplify the equation to get y(t)=-t^2.
odie5533
System of Differential Equations (Urgent)

Homework Statement

Solve for y(t). You need not find x(t).
[tex]2x' + y' - y = t[/tex]
[tex]x' + y' = t^2[/tex]
x(0) = 1, y(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]2Dx + (D - 1)[y] = t[/tex]
[tex]Dx + Dy = t^2[/tex]
[tex]2D^2x + (D^2 - D)[y] = 1[/tex]
[tex]2D^2x + 2D^2y = 4t[/tex]
[tex](D^2 + D)[y] = 4t - 1[/tex]
[tex]y'' + y' = 4t - 1[/tex]
I solved the above equation using undetermined coefficients. It's a lot of writing, so I'll just put the answer here:
[tex]y(t) = 2t^2 - 5t + C_{1} + C_{2}E^{-t}[/tex]
Using the initial value y(0) = 0
[tex]0 = C_{1} + C_{2}[/tex]
[tex]C_{1} = -C_{2}[/tex]

I'm stuck at applying the other initial value. It says you don't need to find x(t), so I was wondering if there is a way to do this without going through and solving for x(t) then solving for the constants and such.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating both sides of x'+ y'= t2, you get x(t)+ y(t)= (1/3)t3. In particular, x(0)+ y(0)= 0.

When doing that integration, isn't a constant introduced into the equation?
[tex]x + y = \frac{t^3}{3} + C_{3}[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{t^3}{3} + C_{3} - y[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{t^3}{3} + C_{3} - 2t^2 + 5t - C_{1} - C_{2}E^{-t}[/tex]

I also tried
[tex] x + y = \frac{t^3}{3} + C_{3}[/tex]
let t = 0
[tex]x(0) + y(0) = C_{3}[/tex]
[tex]1 + 0 = C_{3}[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = \frac{t^3}{3} + 1 - 2t^2 + 5t - C_{1} - C_{2}E^{-t}[/tex]
x(0) = 1
[tex]1 = 1 - C_{1} - C_{2}[/tex]
[tex]C_{1} = -C_{2}[/tex]
Which is the same thing I got before.

*EDIT* sorry, the initial condition for x was x(0) = 1.

Oh, blast! You are right!

So, is this solvable?

odie5533 said:
So, is this solvable?

If x(t) solves your equations, then so does x(t)+C. A value for x(0) doesn't constrain the solution in any way. Are you sure the boundary condition isn't for x'(0)? BTW you could avoid introducing an extra derivative and just written a first order equation for y.

Oh, very good, Dick. I'm embarassed I didn't see that. (Don't worry, in few minutes I will have convinced myself that I did!)

From the second equation, x'= t2- y^2 so you can eliminate x' from the first equation.

What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describes the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change over time. These equations are commonly used in mathematical models to study various physical, biological, and social phenomena.

What is the difference between a system of differential equations and a single differential equation?

A single differential equation involves only one dependent variable, while a system of differential equations involves multiple dependent variables that are interconnected. This means that the solution to a system of differential equations consists of a set of functions, rather than just one function.

What are the different types of systems of differential equations?

There are several types of systems of differential equations, including linear and nonlinear systems, autonomous and non-autonomous systems, and homogeneous and non-homogeneous systems. These types refer to the properties and characteristics of the equations in the system.

How do you solve a system of differential equations?

The method for solving a system of differential equations depends on its type and complexity. For simple linear systems, techniques such as substitution and elimination can be used. For more complex systems, numerical methods such as Euler's method or matrix methods can be used.

What are the applications of systems of differential equations?

Systems of differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and predict the behavior of these systems over time.