Solve Equation of Tangent to an Ellipse at Point P

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a tangent line that passes through a given point on an ellipse. The process involves differentiating implicitly and setting up equations to solve for the x and y coordinates of the point on the ellipse. The conversation ends with the individual understanding the process and finding the solution.
Firepanda
Sorry title was supposed to be Conic Sections, but my I key is sticky :)

I had a question today, It went somethng like this:

An epllipse of equation ((x^2)/4) + y^2 = 1

Find the equation of the tangent which passes through point P: (4,0)

Well this was a mock exam question, where no answers were available. I keep stumbing on questions of this format and I can never do them.

There is bound to be a routine to go through when caculating something like this and it would be great to know it.

So far I have differentiate implicitly to get dy/dx = -x/4y, point P isn't on the curve, so I have to find (x,y) point on the curve that joins it and P as a tangent.

Any help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, write the point as (x0, y0) to distinguish from a general (x, y) point. Yes, the slope of a tangent line to the ellipse at that point is -x0/4y0 and so the equation of the tangent line is y= (-x0/4y0)(x- x0)+ y0. In order that that line go through (4, 0), you must have 0= (-x0/4y0)(4- x0)+ y0.

In order that P be on the ellipse it must also be true that x02/2+ y02= 1. That gives you two equations to solve for x0 and y0.

I understood your 1st paragraph, but not so much the last sentence.

When you say in order that P be on the ellipse, I don't want it to be on the ellipse, I want it to be a point the tangent is connected to.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6224/ellipsecm5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevermind I got it :D Thanks!

1. How do you find the equation of the tangent to an ellipse at a given point?

To find the equation of the tangent to an ellipse at a given point P, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the derivative of the ellipse equation. Plug in the coordinates of point P to find the value of b and form the equation of the tangent.

2. What is the significance of the tangent to an ellipse at a point?

The tangent to an ellipse at a point is a line that touches the ellipse at only one point and is perpendicular to the radius at that point. It is significant in understanding the curvature and direction of the ellipse at that specific point.

3. Can there be more than one tangent to an ellipse at a given point?

Yes, there can be two tangents to an ellipse at a given point. This is because an ellipse is a symmetrical shape and has two sides that are mirrored. Therefore, there can be two lines that are perpendicular to the radius and touch the ellipse at that point.

4. How does the position of the point affect the equation of the tangent to an ellipse?

The position of the point affects the equation of the tangent to an ellipse by changing the value of the slope and the y-intercept. As the point moves along the ellipse, the slope and y-intercept will change accordingly, resulting in different equations for the tangent.

5. Can the equation of the tangent to an ellipse be simplified?

Yes, the equation of the tangent to an ellipse can be simplified by using the standard form of an ellipse equation and simplifying the derivative of the equation to find the slope and y-intercept. This will result in a simplified equation in the form of y = mx + b.