Are there any large star databases containing mass and density?

In summary, the speaker was looking for a large star database containing all types of stars, but was unable to find one with enough data or the specific variables they needed. They then mentioned the possibility of such databases not being available online due to the difficulty in calculating certain variables, such as mass and density. Another person suggested trying the Hipparcos database, which has a large amount of information but does not include mass data. The speaker then mentioned their attempt to estimate mass using luminosity and spectral data, but acknowledged that it may not be accurate enough. The conversation concluded with a discussion on the challenges of accurately measuring stellar mass and a suggestion to use the mass-luminosity relation for estimation.
Xilor
Hi, I was trying to find large star databases to work with, but found that most of the databases I could find did not come close to what I was looking for. Is it possible the data I'm looking for just doesn't exist yet?
The data I'm looking for should preferably contain all kinds of stars and be mostly based on the closest stars since that data would probably be the most accurate and complete. But after searching for a while, all the databases I could find were too small (I was hoping for 50000+) or were missing variables that are important to me (mass, density, whether it is part of a binary/trinary system, spectral type, position, space velocity) and the 'would be nice' variables (age, total redshift, lifetime phase, error bars) or I couldn't actually download them.

I'm starting to suspect such databases don't exist or aren't placed online, possibly because mass and density might not be too easy to calculate. But I was hoping that someone here might be able to point me to databases I missed.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried Hipparcos?
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/W3Browse/star-catalog/hipparcos.html#crl_dec_ra

It's a large database of some +110 000 stars with very precise parallax data(you'll have to convert it to distance yourself).
It includes proper motion data, but no mass.
As far as I'm aware you'll have a hard time finding a catalogue with mass data, as this quantity is not easy to determine.

I haven't tried that, it does seem to have a lot more information than the one I was using. Which was the one downloadable here: http://www.astronexus.com/node/34
But without mass it doesn't really add what I'm looking for. I'm currently trying to find a way to use a combination of luminosity and spectral data to lump the stars in categories and to then try and estimate the mass of them based on those categories and the luminosity. But that would add so much uncertainty that it's probably not worth pursuing.

Depends on whether you need to be precise or not, you could guesstimate the masses from luminosity and spectral types via the mass-luminosity relation. I think.

edit: (which is what you've just said yourself, I've noticed)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a star database?

A star database is used to collect and organize information about stars, such as their mass, density, temperature, and other characteristics. It allows scientists to study and analyze stars in a systematic way, and can also be used for educational and research purposes.

2. Are there any large star databases available for public use?

Yes, there are several large star databases that are publicly available, such as the SIMBAD database maintained by the Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg (CDS) and the VizieR database maintained by the CDS and NASA's Astrophysics Data System (ADS).

3. How are the mass and density of stars determined?

The mass of a star can be determined through various methods, including measuring its gravitational influence on other objects or analyzing its spectral lines. The density of a star can be calculated by dividing its mass by its volume, which can be estimated based on its size and temperature.

4. Can star databases be used to predict the future evolution of stars?

Yes, star databases can be used to study the characteristics and behavior of stars throughout their lifetime. This information can then be used to make predictions about the future evolution of stars, such as whether they will become a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.

5. Are there any limitations to the data in star databases?

Like all databases, star databases may have limitations in terms of the accuracy and completeness of the data. Some stars may have limited information available, while others may have outdated or incorrect data. It is important for scientists to continuously update and validate the data in star databases to ensure their accuracy and usefulness for research.