Magnetic Fields in Zero Gravity: Do They Interact with Gravity?

In summary, a physics group is planning an experiment to study the effects of magnets on fluid dynamics in a weightless environment. They are unsure if gravity has any impact on a magnetic field, but it is believed that in cases of very high gravitational fields, there may be a measurable effect. However, on Earth, it is not expected to have any significant influence. In general relativity, there may be some impact due to gravity bending light, which is a form of electromagnetism.
Viper2838
Hello all,
My physics group is planning an experiment that involes the effects of magnets on fluid dynamiscs in a weighless enviroment. Unfortunately, we, and our advisor, are unsure if gravity has any effect upon a magnetic field. Anybody know?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are asking does gravity affect the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field as decribed by classical equations, then strictly speaking, I believe it does. BUT this would only be in cases of very high gravitational fields (like near black holes, etc...).

But on the earth, I would not expect any measurable effect.

Soveraign said:
If you are asking does gravity affect the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field as decribed by classical equations, then strictly speaking, I believe it does. BUT this would only be in cases of very high gravitational fields (like near black holes, etc...).

But on the earth, I would not expect any measurable effect.

In terms of classical equations there would be no effect at all. In general relativity there is (gravity bends light and light is, after all, electromagnatism).

What he said. :smile: I kludged my words.

thanks all, i kind of figured for any measureable effect to occur, things would have to be a much much larger scale.

1. What is the difference between magnetism and gravity?

Magnetism is the force that attracts or repels objects with opposite or like poles, whereas gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other.

2. How do magnets attract or repel each other?

Magnets have two poles - a north and a south pole. Opposite poles (north and south) attract each other, while similar poles (north and north, or south and south) repel each other.

3. How is magnetism related to electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related as they are both forms of electromagnetic force. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can create electric currents.

4. What is the significance of Earth's magnetic field?

Earth has a magnetic field due to its molten iron core. This field helps protect the planet from harmful solar wind and radiation, and also helps animals like birds and sea turtles navigate.

5. How does the strength of gravity and magnetism vary with distance?

The strength of gravity and magnetism both decrease with distance. The force of gravity decreases with the square of the distance, while the force of magnetism decreases with the cube of the distance.