Generalized Pell Equation and Primes

In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture about the equation X^2 - 2Y^2 = P having solutions in odd integers when P is a prime of the form 8*N+1. The speaker also mentions a paper that requires finding Q such that Q^2 = 2 mod P to solve these equations using continued fractions. They ask if there is a proof that 2 is a quadratic residue of P when P is a prime of the form 8*N+1, and mention the theory of quadratic residues developed by Gauss. The conversation also corrects the conjecture to say that X^2 - 2Y^2 = -P has solutions in odd integers where P is a prime of the form
ramsey2879
I have a conjecture that the equation X^2 - 2Y^2 = P has solutions in odd integers if P is a prime of the form 8*N+1. I know of a paper that requires one to find Q such that Q^2 = 2 mod P inorder to solve these equations using continued fractions. To get to first base in proving my conjecture, is there a proof that 2 is a quadratic residue of P where P is a prime of the form 8*N+1?

Physics news on Phys.org
When p is of the form 8k +-1, then X^2 ==2 Mod (p) is always the case! The theory of quadratic residues was developed by Gauss.

Last edited:
Thanks. Also it is to be noted that I stated my conjecture wrongly. I should have wrote X^2 - 2Y^2 = - P has solutions in odd integers where P is a prime of the form 8*n +1. It is impossible for the other way around to be correct.

If p is for the form 4k+1, which satisfies 8k+1, then there is a solution to X^2==-1, Mod P. So for p==1 Mod 8, there is a solution to X^2 ==-2 Mod p.

Ramsey 2879: Thanks. Also it is to be noted that I stated my conjecture wrongly. I should have wrote X^2 - 2Y^2 = - P has solutions in odd integers where P is a prime of the form 8*n +1. It is impossible for the other way around to be correct.

Well, there is a question here: 5^2-2(2)^2 = 25-8 = 17,

But: 17 = 2(3^2)-(1)^2 = 18-1.

So you' ll have to look at that again.

ramsey2879 said:
My conjecture as corrected stands
Note that for odd integers, X^2- 2Y^2 always equals 7 mod 8. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Last edited:
All odd squaes are congruent to 1 Mod 8. (2x+1)^2 = 4x^2+4x+1 =
4x(x+1) +1 ==1 Mod 8.

Related to Generalized Pell Equation and Primes

1. What is the Generalized Pell Equation?

The Generalized Pell Equation is a type of Diophantine equation in which the solutions are required to be integers. It is defined as x2 - Dy2 = N, where D and N are given positive integers.

2. How is the Generalized Pell Equation related to primes?

The Generalized Pell Equation can be used to generate infinitely many primes, as proven by Leonhard Euler. When N is a prime number, the equation has only trivial solutions (x = ±1, y = 0).

3. What is the significance of finding solutions to the Generalized Pell Equation?

Finding solutions to the Generalized Pell Equation can lead to the discovery of large prime numbers and can also be used in cryptography. It has also been used to prove the irrationality of certain numbers, such as √2 and √3.

4. Are there any special cases of the Generalized Pell Equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases of the Generalized Pell Equation where the solutions can be found easily. These include the case where N = 1, which has the solutions x = ±1 and y = 0, and the case where D is a perfect square, which has the solution x = ±√N and y = 0.

5. Are there any known methods for solving the Generalized Pell Equation?

Yes, there are several methods for solving the Generalized Pell Equation, including the Chakravala method, the Brahmagupta method, and the continued fraction method. These methods involve manipulating the equation to find a solution that satisfies the conditions of the equation.