Standing Waves Proof for Open-Open Tubes

In summary, the conversation discusses using mathematical equations to prove open-closed and closed-closed standing wave patterns, with the closed-closed pattern being the easiest to prove. The equations for the open-open pattern are also mentioned, but the speaker is currently stuck and unsure of how to continue. The D() function is discussed and its representation of the range of y is noted. The conversation ends with a suggestion to apply equation 4 at x=0 and x=L for the open-open pattern.
alingy1
My teacher assigned me to prove open-closed and closed-closed standing waves patterns using math.
With closed-closed, it was fairly easy:

$$\begin{align}
D(x=0,t)&=0\\
D(x=L,t)&=0=2A\sin(kx)
\end{align}$$
Isolate $$L$$ to find that $$\lambda=2L/m$$.
Similarly for closed-open.
$$\begin{align}
D(x=0,t)&=0\\
D(x=L,t)&=\pm 1=2A\sin(kx)\\
\lambda&=4L/m.
\end{align}$$
I wanted to prove open-open too. But I am stuck.
I know that:
$$\begin{align}
D(x=0,t)&=2A\cos(\omega t) \\
D(x=L,t)&=2A\cos(\omega t).
\end{align}$$

Where do I go next?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what the D() function represents. Judging from the factor 2 on the right hand side it represents the range of 'y', e.g. range of movement of air. That being so, eqn 4 should read ##A-(-A)=2A\sin(kL)## (where, presumably, k and λ are the same thing).
Equations 6 and 7 seem to have gone off in a different direction, using the traveling wave equations at x=0. Applying equation 4 at x=0 and x=L would be the logical continuation.

1. How do open-open tubes create standing waves?

Open-open tubes create standing waves through the interference of waves reflected from both ends of the tube. When a wave is reflected from one end, it interferes with the incoming wave, resulting in a standing wave pattern.

2. What is the proof that open-open tubes create standing waves?

The proof for open-open tubes creating standing waves is based on the fundamental principles of wave behavior, such as reflection, interference, and resonance. By observing the interference patterns of waves in an open-open tube, we can see the formation of standing waves.

3. How is the wavelength of a standing wave in an open-open tube determined?

The wavelength of a standing wave in an open-open tube is determined by the length of the tube. The length of the tube must be a multiple of half the wavelength of the standing wave in order for the wave to reflect and interfere constructively, creating a standing wave pattern.

4. Can standing waves be formed in open-open tubes with different lengths?

Yes, standing waves can be formed in open-open tubes with different lengths. However, the length of the tube must still be a multiple of half the wavelength of the standing wave in order for the waves to interfere constructively and create a standing wave pattern. If the length of the tube does not match this criteria, standing waves will not be formed.

5. How are the nodes and antinodes of a standing wave in an open-open tube determined?

The nodes and antinodes of a standing wave in an open-open tube are determined by the positions where the waves intersect or do not intersect. Nodes are the points where the waves do not intersect and have zero amplitude, while antinodes are the points where the waves intersect and have maximum amplitude.