How Do I Calculate the Center of Pressure on an Airfoil?

In summary: I need to find the center of pressure for the upper surface of an airfoil in terms of percent chord from the LEADING EDGE. The pressure from the top surface of the airfoil starting at the chord is 3N/m. The pressure from the bottom surface of the airfoil starting at the chord is 1N/m. There is no angle of attack and I do not know the velocity of the incoming air. Do I need to use the equation Cp=Pt-P/1/2pv^2?
ranger1716
I have some intro aeronautical class homework problem that is giving me difficulty.

I need to find the center of pressure for the upper surface of an airfoil in terms of percent chord from the leading edge. I know that the chord lenth is 1m. The pressure from the top surface of the airfoil starting at the chord is 3N/m. The pressure from the bottom surface of the airfoil starting at the chord is 1N/m. There is no angle of attack and I do not know the velocity of the incoming air.

Do I need to use the equation Cp=Pt-P/1/2pv^2 ?

I can't understand how to use this equation in the context of this problem.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Center of pressure (cop). The point at which the aerodynamic lift on a rocket is centered. (from www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/C/center_of_pressure.html[/URL])

Perhaps try this approach as applied to the foil.

[url]http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/rktcp.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked at methods similar to what was on that page, however I don't think I have enough information from that problem to use this method.

Do I have to know the velocity of the incoming flow in order to determine the center of pressure? I have a sort of triangle made for determining the center of the triangle. However, I only know the length of one side-the base is 1m. I know the pressure acting on another side, but that's all.

Can you give the exact wording of the problem?

"Find the center of pressure for the upper surface of the airfoil (in terms of %chord from the leading edge)."

I was trying to get the picture from the problem posted up here, but I haven't been able to so far.

What is the "center of pressure problem"?

The center of pressure problem refers to the calculation of the point at which the total aerodynamic force on an object is considered to be acting. This point is important in determining the stability and control of an object in fluid flow, such as an aircraft or a ship.

Why is the center of pressure important?

The center of pressure is important because it affects the stability and control of an object in fluid flow. If the center of pressure is not located at the desired point, the object may experience unstable or unpredictable movements, making it difficult to control.

How is the center of pressure calculated?

The center of pressure is calculated by taking moments of the aerodynamic force on the object about a reference point. This reference point can be chosen arbitrarily, but it is typically chosen to be a fixed point on the object, such as the leading edge of a wing.

What factors can affect the center of pressure?

The center of pressure can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the angle of attack, the fluid density and viscosity, and the speed and direction of the fluid flow. Changes in any of these factors can result in a shift in the location of the center of pressure.

Why is it important to accurately determine the center of pressure?

Accurately determining the center of pressure is important for the stability and control of an object in fluid flow. If the center of pressure is not located in the correct position, the object may experience difficulties in maintaining its desired trajectory or may even become uncontrollable. This can have serious consequences, especially for aircraft and other vehicles.